how to read orange drop values

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzyguitars

Reaction score
i got some extra caps with the last module that i bought

how the hell do you figure out what values they are?

715p600v
152j 0427 i assume the top row is the 715 series rated 600v
how do i read the bottom row?

716p 600v
102j 0410 which is better the 715 or the 716, all else being equal?

222j 0507

153j 0813

102j 0445

what about silver mica?

which of those cap values do you guys like best for your grail?

thanks!

102J

First two digits are value in pF
Second digit is power of 10 multiplier (# of 0s)

10 x 100 = 1000pF (0.001uF I hope!)

J is tolerance, which is +\- 5%

715 and 716 are different series of caps. I k now one guy who prefers the 716 in his Tweed circuits and 715 in his Blackface Deluxe circuits. The 716 models have a more solid midrange, from what I've heard, and are a tad warmer. There's also 6PS, but I'm unfamiliar with them.

fuzzyguitars said:
where do you guys get em from

what about those red wika caps?
*Wima
I order my Red Wimas off of Mouser, and they have the 715 series of Orange Drops. You can get both the 715 and 716 series from TubeDepot, but I'm not sure about the other series. Silver Micas can be ordered from either place as well (but I'm not so sure about Mouser on those). I just order my Orange Drops and Silver Micas with new tubes and whatnot, and my Wimas with Electrolytic caps, potentiometers, and resistors from Mouser.
Oh! And you can also order the Mallory-imitating SoZo caps for your Marshall modules from Tube Depot, or their site where you can also find their Vintage series caps and other mustard style caps for Fender style amps. They sound fantastic from what I've heard of them, and I plan on using them for a friend's SL+ when he finally gets a Randall.