RM20B power tubes?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryMcT

Reaction score
Does it take anything other than EL84's? I can't seem to find the manual for this online.

I believe the only thing it takes are EL84's, since they're a unique socket design compared to all the typical octal tubes (6L6, EL34, etc). The manual didn't really say anything about tube swapping in the RM20 (though it does contain the proper mv values for all the possible power tubes, I think this is because Randall "copied & pasted" a big chunk of the RM20 manual from some other MTS manual)

Too bad THD hasn't created a "reverse yellowjacket" that would allow 6L6's, EL34's, etc. to be used in EL84 amps. :idea: Of course, that may not be possible, but given my general level of "electronic ignorance" I'll just say that it'd be a cool idea.

--B

I'm only asking because a friend really likes the sound of my RM50B with 6l6's and wants to buy a smallish amp for recording. I need to go do the A/B test to see how the EL84's in the RM20 sound.

I have owned an RM20B combo for a while now and I love it! I am using a modded Top Boost module primarily, but also a JTM, Brown, Clean, Ultra Lead, and Recto (obviously one at a time).

I think the EL84's sound the best with the Top Boost module which makes sense because the original Vox amps run EL84's. The clean and traditional mods are a must on this module if you love vintage Vox tone. Without the mods it is far too buzzy sounding

The amp is light, portable, sounds great for recording, and is loud enough for small gigs.