Just bought Lynch Head and Cab

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extralife

Reaction score
Hey,

I just bought a Lynch Box head and cab. I only have the grail module so far. I have a few questions you guys can probably help me with.

Is it ok to run just one module in it and should I have it in the first slot(i have it in the middle currently)?
What impedance should I be running at with the standard Lynch box cab?
The guys at the store I bought it from had it running at 4ohms but the website says it is an 8ohm cab. can this cause much damage?

also is it ok to drop two fuses out and run at 50? thats what they were doing at store.

Thanks.

also i've been reading through other posts and am getting a little more knowlegable and a lot more confused. in regards to effects. i have a vox tonelab se. how should i connect this. i will not use the amp modelling but will use the distortion pedals and delays, reverbs, etc.

thanks guys.

ps is there any other Australian's on here. i'm jealous that all you American's have guys to tweak your stuff. wondering if theres anyone here that does it?

Welcome,and congrats on the purchase!!The loops are line level so it the tone lab is line level then it should work fine in the loops,should work fine in the front end but if you run delays and such in the loops then the signal needs to be line level.

Welcome

Is it ok to run just one module in it and should I have it in the first slot(i have it in the middle currently)?
You can run one module in any slot

What impedance should I be running at with the standard Lynch box cab?
The guys at the store I bought it from had it running at 4ohms but the website says it is an 8ohm cab. can this cause much damage?

also is it ok to drop two fuses out and run at 50? thats what they were doing at store.

These above 2 questions are related...you can pull out the outer or the inner 2 fuses to run the amp at 50 watts, but at that point, the ohms change, which explain why the store had it set differently with 2 fuses pulled.

I believe you cut the ohms in half when you pull 2 fuses....need someone else to chime in here, because proper ohms is important for the health of your system

i'm jealous that all you American's have guys to tweak your stuff. wondering if theres anyone here that does it?

Lots of us Americans are shipping over to CZ for mods, so don't let shipping $ stop you from getting great tone! Pete Gigmods (USA), Anthony (CZ), and Jaded Faith (USA) seem to be the best imo

Remeber $ is just numbers on a computer screen, tone is in your fingertips!

thanks for your replies but i'm still not sure about cab. it's just a standard lynch box cab and i'm planning on running my head at 100watts. i read the specs for the cab on the randall website and it says it is 8 ohms but people are saying its 8 stereo 4 standard. i am a real newb to these type of amps and don't want to blow anything up. what are you guys set at? also do you guys use main or extension. sorry for basic questions but manual is obviously assuming a basic knowledge of these things that i clearly don't have.

extralife said:
thanks for your replies but i'm still not sure about cab. it's just a standard lynch box cab and i'm planning on running my head at 100watts. i read the specs for the cab on the randall website and it says it is 8 ohms but people are saying its 8 stereo 4 standard. i am a real newb to these type of amps and don't want to blow anything up. what are you guys set at? also do you guys use main or extension. sorry for basic questions but manual is obviously assuming a basic knowledge of these things that i clearly don't have.

You should use the Main first.

Every Lynch 4x12 (green gator) cab I've seen has one input jack and it's 8Ohm Mono (or standard) only.

If it's an 8ohm cab, then you'll want the selector on 8ohm's and running the speaker lead out from "main" (hence, "use first" written underneath it hehe).
And from my understanding (as someone already said), when you remove two of the four tubes you are lowering the output from 100W to 50W and hence have to lower the impedance in accordance (100W - 8ohm into 8ohm cab, 50W - 4ohm into 8ohm cab). Although why this is the case I'm not entirely sure, I'm not hugely boned up on electronics haha.

half the watss is half the ohs as they are directly proportional math wise. So yeah pull the two inner or outer tubes and adjust the ohm's accordingly.
Not sure why this would be necassary on the Lynch Box as there is a level dial on the far right of each preamp module that allows you to dial back the preamp level and maintain lower volumes when the power amp/master volume are running full out.

Usually two tubes get pulled so players can crank thier amp and 50 watts is not as loud as 100.

To put things in perspective... 10 watts is half as loud as 100w so 50w is still very close to 100w... approx 3/4 as loud.

Power of ten math is used in Electrical Physics when it comes to decibels.

My advice is to run all four tubes then you can run either a half or full stack and take advantage of the very cool preamp gain/preamp level/master volume relationship the Lynch Box offers.

exactly what i'm doing. i played my amp for the first time the other night. i am blown away. it sounds so good. i used to use heaps of effects. i didn't use any and it sounded awesome. had the preamp gain cranked all the way and the master only at about 3 and it was loud as but not in an annoying way. i love this thing. can't wait to get some new modules.

You might try running the preamps to 1/2 way, and running the volume of the amp up to noon or so...the way you're running that now , folks have had problems with blown fuses...there are 9 inside the amp!!

Welcome mate. I'm in Sydney and also have the Lynch Box (but just the standard Randall CAb with V30's). It's a mighty fine amp, you won't regret it!