KH1------what preamp tubes?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctallica1

Reaction score
I am MUCH more versed on good tubes for high gain applications, but want to get a nice full, rich clean out of this module, with no breakup.

All my preamp tubes are too gainy.

What would you suggest?

Disclaimer....I am not looking to buy expensive NOS tubes. Current production at a reasonable cost is what I am looking for.

Thanks folks!
Tony

I thought the KH1 was especially made for high output pickups remaining clean till the max

Try putting an 12AT/Y7 or ECC82/81 in it
Preferably no JJ, they're kind of flat/smokey in tone

If you use a Jan 5751 (which I believe is around the $20 mark) and maybe some kind of 12AT7 you should be fine. The JAN might work best in your PI though, and will help all of your modules. But try it or a similar tube o ut in the module's V1, or even V2.

Thanks guys....I think I will try out the JAN Phillips tubes.

And yes.....the module is made for high output pickups. I just want a richer/fuller tone without adding any gain.

T

The KH1 is a Blackface, just with less gain at higher settings. Of coarse the Face has a slightly different tone, and its sweet, the KH stays nice a clean when I push my BOSS processor thru it. I'm finding that the 6L6's sound the best when using it that way.

I can't seem to get enough beef out of this one.... Running used UK Mullard 12AX7 and a Chinese Gen 8 12AX7. It's like soft. I've tried other tubes and it makes no difference. It's like clean with no compression at all. The danger I see is that while I'm no where near clipping the big glass in the power section, the line output is clipping my rack unit on the pick attacks.

I started using a compressor with it. Sounds good. Especially with a reverb and autowah.