Can anyone compare the 1086 and the SL+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockStarNick

Reaction score
Can anyone compare the 1086 (in the boosted midrange mode, NOT the scooped mode) and the SL+ for me.

Particular, the
- gain levels
- midrange level
- note detail

Thanks fellas!

I use both. The SL+ is much thicker sounding to me and I use it for my solos. I use the 1086 for rhythm, it seems thinner but has more of a heavy modern sound to it. Gain wise I think they are about the same, the SL+ has much more gain than I thought it would, and the 1086 has less than I thought it would. The SL+ is more mid sounding, at least "good" mids anyways. If I turn up the mids too much on the 1086 it sounds crappy. If you're looking for a more classic, thick, mid to high gain I'd say go for the SL+. For more modern sounds, go for the 1086...but I'll add that I think the Lynch Grail has a better tone for modern metal...and a modded 1086 is said to be about as good as it gets for monsterous gain and tone.

Greg

Also wanted to mention that my SL+ is a newer version with the JCM800 mod already incorporated into it...if you get an older version it may not have this.

Greg

gweb said:
I use both. The SL+ is much thicker sounding to me and I use it for my solos. I use the 1086 for rhythm, it seems thinner but has more of a heavy modern sound to it. Gain wise I think they are about the same, the SL+ has much more gain than I thought it would, and the 1086 has less than I thought it would. The SL+ is more mid sounding, at least "good" mids anyways. If I turn up the mids too much on the 1086 it sounds crappy. If you're looking for a more classic, thick, mid to high gain I'd say go for the SL+. For more modern sounds, go for the 1086...but I'll add that I think the Lynch Grail has a better tone for modern metal...and a modded 1086 is said to be about as good as it gets for monsterous gain and tone.

Greg

I agree with everything in here... solid review

gweb said:
Also wanted to mention that my SL+ is a newer version with the JCM800 mod already incorporated into it...if you get an older version it may not have this.

Greg

How do you know if it's a newer version or not?

How do you know if it's a newer version or not?

The only way I know for sure is that I just bought it new a couple months ago. Silverfaced ones definitely will not come stock with the upgrade, it would need to be modded. I'm not sure if the first round of blackstriped modules had the upgrade or not. I'm sure someone here has a better answer on it though.

Greg

I have a silverfaced with the black stripe on the top SL+ that came stock with the JCM 800 mod. I got it new early this year. The SN on it puts it after the date Randall started adding this. Mine is 0807R0066. I assume this means July 2008.

Still it only sounds like a JCM800 with EL34's in the power section. With 5881s it sounds more Soldano.

Black stripe and Blackface have the mod. some earlier Black Stripes might not, but Silverface is definitely their JCM2000 sounding version.

gweb said:

Greg

That's very well put, indeed :!:

Me too, I thought that the 1086 would have had more gain on tap. That being said, mine's of to Salvation soon, so I don't have to worry about that anymore :eek:

Baco said:
gweb said:

Greg

That's very well put, indeed :!:

Me too, I thought that the 1086 would have had more gain on tap. That being said, mine's of to Salvation soon, so I don't have to worry about that anymore :eek:

Yes, the 1666 sounds super agressive, lots of gain !
:wink:

The 1086 seems to be finicky about the tubes it wants. Different manufactures that is. All in all I love the modded SL+ the best. I guess I cant let go of the Hair Metal side in Me 8)

I have not heard a stock SL+ but I have a Dave Freidman SL+ and a stock 1086. The 1086 sounds really great until you can compare it to other stuff. It is surprising how low gain the 1086 is compared to the SL+. I like the 1086 because it can do clean to grit to plexi to high-ish gain type tones and also pull some Marshall-esque tones and Mesa-esque tones, but overall it doesn't stand up to the monster the SL+ is. The SL+ is thicker, richer, and harder. It can really ride.

What about an Egnater single channel SL+? Would this be the newer version? I would imagine it would. I have one on the way.

The original thead topic of comparing 1086 to SL+.

Using a Les Paul, RM100, into a Randall MTS Cab with stock Vintage 30s, I would say that the SL+ and 1086 are quite different. You could play the same songs through each and pull it off, and I do consider my SL+ one of my "heavy" modules alongside my Treadplate, UltraXL, 1086, and XTC. But, I would say the SL+ is closer in tone to the KH-2. The KH-2 has a little more beef - by that I mean warmth or low-mids.

I equate the 1086 more to a Recto tone than a Marshall. THe 1086 is a much tighter version of the Treadplate to my ears. Treadplate without the flab.

The SL+ has a stronger midrange than the 1086 for sure.