Egnater Third Party Modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets not forget to make room for the effects modules,the list keeps on going and going.Modular nation coming up!!!!

Why not a module that is customizable by the player on the spot. Start with a basic preamp circuit voice, say Marshall for example. Manufacture the module with small trim pots in the gain circuit and eq stacks to allow for pretty much unlimited tweaking of the signal path. This could be done with a Fender circuit or a hybrid Marshall/Fender or whatever. Think about it, all tube amps are based of 1 or 2 basic circuits that date back decades. Guys have just modified the preamps and poweramps to change the sound and performance of the amp. Thats all we are really asking for anyway, The ability to have any tone we can dream up.

I really don't think any other amp maker is going to build a module for the RM or Egnater amps. There is no benefit for them to do it. As much as we love to sing the praises of these botique builders, they are in it to make a living, period. Personally I would just ask Bruce to make me a custom module based on whatever amp I wanted. I know he will do it. Might take a while, but you would get it.

Anyway, just my humble opinion. Not that it means anything.......

Why not modules that also have a kitchen sink installed? Modules that babysit children? Modules that create world peace? The possibilities are endless!

Seriously...

I think some of this is taking it too far. The concept (at least as I see it) was to allow tonal variation, yet keep things relatively simple.

I think the best modular system for some of you would be to get a rig that would make John Petrucci's rig look simple. Just get about 30 heads and cabinets and install them in a gigantic custom amp head/rack case. You could even slide different heads in and out of the rack and call them "modules". Problem solved.

muudrock said:
Why not a module that is customizable by the player on the spot. Start with a basic preamp circuit voice, say Marshall for example. Manufacture the module with small trim pots in the gain circuit and eq stacks to allow for pretty much unlimited tweaking of the signal path.

Yeah if you did that, there goes the entire idea behind it being MODULAR. You can swap in various preamps to achieve the preamp tone of totally different amps. I don't see trim pots going into the circuit as that might complicate the design or make the modules sound worse. Bruce designed them the way he did for a reason, I trust his ears as my modules sound killer! :) If you REALLY want to make your modules sound different, study the schematics for preamps that you like and buy one that is CLOSE and tweak it from there. It's not much harder than replacing components, honestly. Bruce gives a killer platform to start with, so that's a big help. I guess it's just a matter of sitting down and studying the preamps of said amplifiers and learning what you need to mod to make it sound like what you're looking for. My friend Scott has studied a bunch of Dumble amps that were de-gooped and learned what you needed to tweak on a Fender-style circuit to get that Dumble-esque tone. I brought my Fuchs over before I sold it to buy my Egnater and the changes he was able to make by changing less than 15 parts was AMAZING! It's cool stuff if you know what you're doing (I don't know how to mod the preamps or I would do it myself). I'm sure there are books out there explaining it, see if maybe someone you know that has a boutique amp you're looking for will show you the guts, maybe you could get an idea from that unless it's gooped! :lol:

amen to what chad just said. Seriously there comes a point where we all stop hearing the amp and the PLAYER and start hearing the badge on the front of it!

Would any of you be interested in this stuff if these modules were not named after famous amps and simple described the sound they make?

::cough cough:: we all need some gas-x

Chad said:
I think the best modular system for some of you would be to get a rig that would make John Petrucci's rig look simple. Just get about 30 heads and cabinets and install them in a gigantic custom amp head/rack case. You could even slide different heads in and out of the rack and call them "modules". Problem solved.

OMG HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :lol:

Seriously...

I think some of this is taking it too far. The concept (at least as I see it) was to allow tonal variation, yet keep things relatively simple.[/quote]

Babysit children.......Thumbs up +1 I could use one of those.I think the simple approach is the way to go.I think we were having a little fun with the idea but I wouldn't change the simple facts because Bruce is doing an excellent job at this whole system.It sounds so great and just remember
TONE FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Would any of you be interested in this stuff if these modules were not named after famous amps and simple described the sound they make?

I think you are forgetting something. Yes many of us would and did. We started out with this whole trip by buying EGNATER amps and preamps. Randall was not even doing this then. And yes the Eganaters are based on amps like Marshall and Fender but aren't they all? I would definately be buying them whether there were XTC, Vox etc. In fact my favorite modules are still the ones that were Bruces originals like the EG series.

I agree that this idea of third party modules is pretty far fetched and I don't think it will ever happen. It's Bruces thing and there are to many "issues". That said, if Two-Rock made a mod ... I would buy it! A very interesting subject.

Lest we forget that egnater is a boutique brand itself sir.

Point taken however that not everyone is in it for that, but its a factor.

My bass player and I are looking into doing something like this.