12 ohm marshall 212 cab w/ kendricks blackframes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube Head

Reaction score
I a m using an old marshall 212 cab with the rm 100. The speackers were replaced before i took posesion. Its loaded with kendrick blackframes. I have rewired the speaker in series hoping to get 16 ohms. Opened it up used the multimeter and found each speaker at 6.2 ohms the wired in series 12.4 ohms. does anyone know if its safe to hook this to the rm100 switched for 16 ohms? and also paired with a 16 ohm 412[/list]

I've measured supposedly 8 ohm speakers with a multimeter before and gotten less than 8 ohms, it might have also been around 6 ohms now that I think about it. The explanation I was given is that the speakers have different resistances at different frequencies and that 8 ohms was an average. So, I would say yes, if your speakers say they are 8 ohms each and you wired them in series, then run the head at 16 ohms and they should match. Anyone care to confirm?

You should not run 2 - 16 ohm cabs with the head at 16 Ohms. You need to set the head on 8 Ohms.

Oh yeah, I only answered the first part of the question and totally missed the part about the other 16 ohm speaker cab.

johnmfer said:
I've measured supposedly 8 ohm speakers with a multimeter before and gotten less than 8 ohms, it might have also been around 6 ohms now that I think about it. The explanation I was given is that the speakers have different resistances at different frequencies and that 8 ohms was an average. So, I would say yes, if your speakers say they are 8 ohms each and you wired them in series, then run the head at 16 ohms and they should match. Anyone care to confirm?
The rule of resistance vs. impedance is this: the higher frequency in which a currant flows through a magnetic field the higher the impedance. As with resistance impedance is measured in ohms, but as said is not a static.

If you look at a specrum analyze of a speaker there might be an impedance curve with it. It's that curve with a peak (the resonance frequency) in the bass (to the left) and slowly rising with the frequency (to the right). That is your impedance.

That is right: in series you add the values, in parallell (equal values) you divide the value by 2