mike amott

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find a lot of noise comes from noisy pedals in front of the amp. You get what you pay for. But then you don't really notice the noise when you're playing, only when you're not playing.

Rack noise gate? If you find you need one go with ISP. They're the best.

Go with a Blackface, Ultra XL, and a Pete Ultra XL.

Pete and Salvation mods are crazy dead quiet, even at hi gain no ns needed (dependent on the quality of your electricity)

But at some inner city buildings when things get noisier, I'll use my ISP decimator with fantastic results

The guy is right about the Ultra XL having a lot of noise. This is remedied some with a JAN Phillips 5751 in the PI position. However, there may still be some noise (I still need to get this tube, and I'm gonna order it with some caps for modding). I suggest getting the XL's modded by Pete, and ask him if he can lower the noise on them (I'm currently working on modding MY Ultra XL for lower noise).

Shinozoku said:
The guy is right about the Ultra XL having a lot of noise. This is remedied some with a JAN Phillips 5751 in the PI position. However, there may still be some noise (I still need to get this tube, and I'm gonna order it with some caps for modding). I suggest getting the XL's modded by Pete, and ask him if he can lower the noise on them (I'm currently working on modding MY Ultra XL for lower noise).

I have Anthony?s noise gates on every highgainer.
They work perfect for me.
I used to have an ISP, but sold it !

sharn666 said:
maybe im wrong as i have never used a randall amp before its just i was on another forum and there was alot of people having a cry about how much noise there randalls made but i think they where full of it so thats why im asking you guys because you seem like that your all in the know.
Just run your GSP1101 through the loop for delay and use the NOISE GATE on it. You don't need to buy another thing. Going from an amp with a built in gate to something tube without one is a big shock. I played a Line6 Vetta HD for 5 years and the first thing I had to do when I got the RM100 is get a Boss Noise Suppressor pedal. When you are used to dead silent for years and years any amount of noise seems to be to much. Did you watch the Randall video of Mike on youtube. He has the RM100 and 2 UltraXLs and the Digitech gsp1101 through the loop for delays and I bet the gate is used. You are well on the way to his setup. I run the RM100 with 6l6 tubes and an Ultra and an UltraXL. The UltraXL is by far the only high gain Randall module to even think of.

Got enough cash to buy a RM100,just waiting for the cash to go through on my pay pal account should be in by tommorow,ordering it of gearhounds loaded with 2 ultra xl mods and 1 cleanface and getting a KORG DTR-2000 sent over as well.But what I want to ask you guys is will I need to get a IPS decimator to cut out any noise,ps so I guess you will be hearing alot more from me

The main thing to get is a boss noise suppressor and run it into the front of the amp. If you do that you eliminate a ton of noise just from the front end. I have been a out to pick them up at pawnshops here for $25 each. If you want complete silence at all times run a suppressor through the loop of the amp and one in the front end. You can't even tell the amp is on then. My setup worked just fine running the boss pedal right into the front end. If you need that complete silence then get a rack unit to run through the loop and use the noise gate on it. You could pick up an effects unit to run through the loop or in a 4 cable method and then you would get all your effects and a noise gate instead of wasting hundreds on the decimator.

CHEERS for that advice thats a big help to me as I am about to be doing some gigs soon and I dont want the rm100 to be making lots of noise...