KH3 - Mesa Boogie Mark II/IV tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What does the KH3 sound like? In theory, it should sound like a Mesa Boogie Mark II or Mark IV. Is it even close?

Pete's Mesa Mod is the BOMB but he's currently only working with older, discontinued Ultra modules.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I like the stock KH3 for lead tones...dial the mids aggressively and back the treble to noon and you can get somewhere in the Mark area as far as mids and sustain. That being said, I have saw posts where others did not like it at all for leads- it is a 'drier' tone, more articulate than others.

For rhtyhms it is very much like St Anger tones- laugh if you want, but I like a lot of stuff on that disc. Rhythm tone is filled with low end, lo mids, and lots of gain, yet not a lot of 'chainsaw'

No, not a Mark module, but a good one nonetheless...it sort of reminds me of the Diezel tones too

I don't know how accurate any of this is, just my thoughts at the moment...if you can get one used at a good price, give it a shot

Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm really looking for something that nails the Mesa Mark series tone. It's very distinct and very cool. I'm surprised that the KH3 doesn't nail those tones because KH has been using that series for decades.

Thanks!

Mike P said:
Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm really looking for something that nails the Mesa Mark series tone. It's very distinct and very cool. I'm surprised that the KH3 doesn't nail those tones because KH has been using that series for decades.

Thanks!

Although Kirk used a Mark IIC+ for most of his tones on MOP, AJFA, and BA he actually prefers Marshalls more than anything. James on the other used the IIC+, then very very briefly the IV, then a Triaxis until he switched to a VH4.

To my ears the KH2 is a Marshall based module mixed with a bit of Mark midrange and saturation. It is not a 100% Mark module but its next best thing after the Ultra Lead.

A KH3 is just a boosted KH2.

To my ears the KH2 is a Marshall based module mixed with a bit of Mark midrange and saturation. It is not a 100% Mark module but its next best thing after the Ultra Lead.
I can see that, but the ULead is more like the Santana side of the Mark, while the KH2 is the metal side

A KH3 is just a boosted KH2.
I don't see this...the eq foundation is drastically different IMO
KH2 sounds like Ride the Lightning all the way (may need a clean boost), Marshall with some mids surgically decreased

The KH3 is chock full of mids

Not sure what EXACTLY it sounds, but it's the only stock module I have. I use it unboosted for leads with Orange, Marshall and Recto preamps and it does great.

A KH3 is just a boosted KH2.[/quote]

- I use a Rob modded KH2 as my leadtone and love it.
I think it really can get in this territory and has more useable gain !

Through my set up the KH3 has alot of mids. Can't really scoop them out much. I have been adding mids to my sound and liking it! Cuts better in a band setting . The module sounds good , but I don't really hear any of the Metallica albums in it.Just my opinion.

To me...it sounds like it was ued in Death Magnetic..once you get past all the clipping mastering...that tone is in teh KH3 for sure.

JKD said:
To me...it sounds like it was ued in Death Magnetic..once you get past all the clipping mastering...that tone is in teh KH3 for sure.

+1. I was jamming to DM yesterday seeing how close to the tone I could get with the RM100KH I just picked up and I was able to almost nail it.

Guess I gotta mess with it some more. What cabs do all of you use? With what speaker arrangement? I mostly use my cobra cab with green backs. I would like to do some work on my triple xxx cab and put something different in it .

Lotus1 said:
Guess I gotta mess with it some more. What cabs do all of you use? With what speaker arrangement? I mostly use my cobra cab with green backs. I would like to do some work on my triple xxx cab and put something different in it .

I have only run mine through my TM2X12 with a E80 and ET65 in it. I plan on trying it with a Super V that I have on hand also this week.

I didn't like the KH3, I got the same tonefrom a KH3 when I took my Grail and boosted it with a ZW overdrive. The KH3 has almost 2 much gain.

Better to look at a modded module then the KH-3 if you want the tone youre looking for. Of coarse thats my opinion but I was really disappointed in the KH3.