how to use a RM22 in large venues?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felipe R

Reaction score
im interested in this head mostly cuz the boost funcion, but sadly it do not have slave out like other mts heads for use in large venues.

its posible to mod for a slave out to use with my poweramps?

Why don't you ust get an RM4 to use with your poweramps?

You can just put 2 extra modules in for the boost sounds.

the boost in the rm20 is different than other amps...it adds a natural tube compressed feel that is awesome for leads. I would love to that have that option on the other amps...or perhaps there's a pedal that can do this smooth/gain compressed vibe?

lol, I just told someone else no to compressors...

lol yeah I do know what you feel.

I'd guess it's the same effect as when you have any high gain module and turn the gain from 9 o clock to full out?
It doesn't add audible gain, just compression. :)

Nightdare said:
Rewind!

Since when is 'micing a speaker' emulating?

also, since when can't you hook up the 22 to a 4x12?

a 18w poweramp is cool for practice, small blues gigs but can not sound like a 100w poweramp into a 4x12 cab in a metal gig

m0jo said:

Had the Egnater M4 and i didn like the feel, no punch like other preamps imo

crankyrayhanky said:
the boost in the rm20 is different than other amps...it adds a natural tube compressed feel that is awesome for leads.

that the point, i like the boost in rm20 also

Felipe R said:
Nightdare said:
Rewind!

Since when is 'micing a speaker' emulating?

also, since when can't you hook up the 22 to a 4x12?

a 18w poweramp is cool for practice, small blues gigs but can not sound like a 100w poweramp into a 4x12 cab in a metal gig

m0jo said:

Had the Egnater M4 and i didn like the feel, no punch like other preamps imo

crankyrayhanky said:
the boost in the rm20 is different than other amps...it adds a natural tube compressed feel that is awesome for leads.

that the point, i like the boost in rm20 also

Every large metal show I've been to the crowd (and I) were listening to the house p.a., not the miked cabs onstage. A sweet fifteen watt combo will sound just as big to a crowd when miked as a 412 with a larger power amp. A 22 watt amp should also still put enough db out to jam with a drummer, just because an amp can go louder than this doesn't mean it should.
In m.h.o. I'd say a 412 will get all the air you need with a 22 watt amp for jamming.

I measured the rm20 volume at one point, it puts out about 88dbs, add another 8-10 with the boost

Me playing the drums by myself is about 85dbs, so I guess if the dummer gets excoted and starts hitting hard, it will make the rm20 not quite enough. Depends on the situation....most bar/clubs won't want you to go beyond 85 anyway, so it would work, but ...there's no room for helping yourself if you're buried in the mix

Just to follow up, I used to use an Orange Tiny Terror 15 watter and it had plenty; I remember that band being loud too. I think part of the watts in the rm20 are built into the boost feature. 85dbs is just not enough, I can talk loudly and hear myself easily...Of course 85 is more than enough to annoy sleeping family members

if you want to get technical a 100watt power amp section is between 6 and 9 decibels louder than 20 watt power section.

fun little fact. doubling the wattage gives a 3db increase in volume.

also lower stage volumes will allow your sound engineer to have much better control over the live mix. and you may even be able to hear the drummer :D

right, 100 watts are just twice as loud as 10 watts. mostly the wattage printed on your amp hasn`t got anything in common with the "real" wattage. there are a few 100w marshalls that have under 50 watts.
if you play in a band the subjective loudness of an amp basically depends on the eq-settings and the qualtity of your equipment (guitar, pickups and speakers). if the sound is "muddy" or midscooped it will always be difficult to hear what you`re playing, even at high volumes.

this thread is really confusing.. i don't understand why you can't just run it into a cab of ANY kind/size and stick a microphone in front of one of the speakers running straight into the PA....? like every other show ever that isn't a basement or someones living room

I agree with lolthrash. If you need more volume for yourself just put a little of it thru the monitors.

crankyrayhanky said:
Just to follow up, I used to use an Orange Tiny Terror 15 watter and it had plenty; I remember that band being loud too. I think part of the watts in the rm20 are built into the boost feature. 85dbs is just not enough, I can talk loudly and hear myself easily...Of course 85 is more than enough to annoy sleeping family members

Are you running anything in the loop? I had my RM20 cranked up today and took some db readings and could easily get 110db. I have a Mr. Scary in it with the gain up to 8 and the level was at 2 max. I turned it up louder but got to deafening. I was running one Egnater Rebel 112x cabinet.

I play in a band with two other guitar players as well as the bass player and no one has any problem hearing me. I had been using my LB with a 4x12 but we were just rehearsing and I didn't want to load up the big cabinet so I went small. It sounded great and was easily heard.

?? hmm, nothing in the loop; I've tried different modules too.
I've changed powertubes.
Maybe I should change out the 12ax7s? If you're hitting 110 without the boost feature that is significantly different than what I am getting

ok, I'll replace all tubes and retest; this will most likely make my previous posts null and void

I looked at my db meter and realized I set it up a few feet away..when I put it on the grill and get over 105dbs

Chances are, I am a LOUD player, but I can't imagine the rm20 being deafening on 2 with a hard rock band