EMG clean sound

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phloyd

Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions for getting a good clean sound with EMG's through the Blackface module? I'm just trying to lessen the drive a little bit. I know EMG's generally don't have a great clean sound anyway but maybe some different preamp tubes like 12AU7's might help. Thanks.

there is a MOD you can do to the blackface module that decreases 'gainy' sound when using EMGs. I think you can find info about it on one of the sticky topics in the module forum.

Run some chorus and delay with it.... otherwise I find EMGs to be pretty sterile on clean settings... :?

Well EMG's are not best suited for cleans IMO, but with my brian moore mc1p which has emg81,85 and SA in middle I can get good clean sounds from NECK pickup (emg85) with Twin or VOX module and with very little gain from the module. Add little reverb. With emg81 I found sound a little bit too cold and sterile. With the middle SA the sound is cool but a little on a thin side.

Best clean for me with EMG's is 85 in neck with SA in middle togherer.

I think part of the problem with EMG's is that unlike passive pickups, when you roll the volume knob down it does taper down gradually. On passive pickups rolling the volume knob back lowers the volume incrementally, on EMG's it seems the knob rolls back a bit with nothing much happening then BAM it drops the volume significantly.
I would think simply turning the gain down or messing with the eq settings on the module itself would be the best bet. Another option might be to add the EMG XPC control (I think thats whats called). I installed one of those on my Charvel Model 6 with 81/SA/SA and it basically rolls off/boosts lows or highs depending on where you set it.

TheAbomb12 said:
there is a MOD you can do to the blackface module that decreases 'gainy' sound when using EMGs. I think you can find info about it on one of the sticky topics in the module forum.

+1
I had to do this mod myself.

Also, You might also wanna check the height of your pickups. A thing often overlooked with actives is that since you can set them so close to the strings for a more powerful distorted tone, your doing a tradeoff with your clean tone. It becomes far more brittle and almost to the point of breakup. Try fine tuning them a little to see if it helps.

Try to play with low level of Gain, decrease the volume of the guitar, check the height of your pickups... You can do a lot of things to play clean and sound fine, but think in this: The Blackface Module, emulates a Fender Amp. Fender uses 6L6 Tubes, wich are designed to play with simple coils to take this cristal sound, clean, bright...

If you have your RM100M, you NEVER will have this sound, 'cos it comes with E34L JJ Tubes, that brings more low and mid tones (ideal to play with Humbuckers, as your Active EMG's)... but if you have the RM100S, it comes with 6L6 Tubes (as Fender), and then you will have the tone you'are looking.

If you have the RM100M, and want to change the Tubes to take this clean sound, just change them, and correct the BIAS. Then, your Blackface Module will sound more brighter, but don't dream with a cristal sound, 'cos your humbuckers.

Try also with an external EQ, this will help you to get closer to the tone. Some reverb, and ready.

Good luck!

i always found that an EMG single coil on the neck position makes the best clean sound.

+1 about emg singles. I have a david gilmour set up in one of my strats with three SA 1s and the special pots(i forget the specific names but ones a boost and ones a parametric eq) and they sound really great clean with the boost rolled back to half and the eq half way up, and they get hairy as could be! I used that guitar in my metal band before i got my jackson and it worked fine.

Latest posts