MOD 50 questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtr31

Reaction score
First off, Im looking at getting the Mod 50 in the new year.
I love the flexibility of the design.
Im trying to decide which power tubes to get installed at the factory.
The main hi gain mods im looking at are the MHG and EG3.
Does anyone have experience with the following tubes and how they react to the aforemntioned mods.
Im looking at KT88,KT77 or el34 .
From what I would guess the 34 will be the most vintage mid driven and somewhat looser in the bottom.
the Kt88 being tighter more articulate and more modern with more clean headroom
and the 77 somewhere in the middle .less pronounced in the upper mid and thicker ,bigger overall .kinda a cross between the 2 .
Is this accurate .
My question is if the MHG is agressive and scooped or low mid focused would it pair out better with the classic mid 34.or vice versa if I went with the eg3 which is more mid drive and smooth would it be better matched with the KT88/
thanks to all btw I play Scorpions, Firehouse .Dokken. I do a lot of riff based rock so I need a thick sound with a lot of harmonics ..for pinch

I run E34L's and love them. Have tried the 77's but changed back. I think you need to pick a set installed from the factory and then get a different set to experiment with. Since you can bias this amp yourself go crazy, try all the different tube types you want. I would start with EL34's or E34L's

The MHG has a strong midrange so keep that in mind. Not honky, but very aggressive. The EG3 to my ears is less cutting in the mids but they are still there. My favorite is the EG4 single channel. It is the perfect tone IMO. But sounds to me like you need the SL++ module for the sounds you listed.

thanks Man. Yeah I guess the advantage is you can always change the power tubes easily.
My perfect Sound is like a Recto thickness in the mids orn the orange channel with more clarity and articulation .Ive heard people Call the MHG diezel/ slo.like ..which I dig.How noisy is that mod at 50% gain ..do you require a gate . I might be ttempted to get the KT88 to start if the MHG is very cutting in the Mids .
thanks again

The MHG definitely reminds me of the Soldano, Diezel type of tone and gain. It has some noise because it's a high gain module, but I have not found any of the Egnater high gain mods to have too much noise. In fact I would say they are all relatively quiet. I have'nt found the need for a gate yet.

You may also want to consider the EG3/4 module. It is a good mix of Marshall/Soldano tone and it is very smooth. Plenty of gain on the B (EG4) channel.

Thanks, muud,
Id do the 34s but my big concern is just they tend to get a little muddy with high gain .again I guess it depends on the circuit .cause Diezels are 34 I believe as are the Framus Cobras and they sound great .
From JD's clips the EG3 sounds like the roar from Early Halen .although I think he had the gain at like 6. How does the tone Differer on the SL2?
I thought the EG3 was basically very close .
Also I wonder if they could do a custom shop MHG/EG4 in one .like the deuxe twin ive heard they are workin on ..Having not heard them in person though i dont know how similar there circuits are / thanks for the info on noise ill use a Rocktron intellifx in the loop .most likely anway

the way you guys are describing the MHG module makes me want to get that (for my RM4) instead of a new Amp Head (Its about 3 times less than a new head too!).

TheAbomb12 said:
the way you guys are describing the MHG module makes me want to get that (for my RM4) instead of a new Amp Head (Its about 3 times less than a new head too!).

You probably wouldn't be disappointed if your looking for nice high gain sound.

gtr31 said:
Thanks, muud,
Id do the 34s but my big concern is just they tend to get a little muddy with high gain .again I guess it depends on the circuit .cause Diezels are 34 I believe as are the Framus Cobras and they sound great .
From JD's clips the EG3 sounds like the roar from Early Halen .although I think he had the gain at like 6. How does the tone Differer on the SL2?
I thought the EG3 was basically very close .
Also I wonder if they could do a custom shop MHG/EG4 in one .like the deuxe twin ive heard they are workin on ..Having not heard them in person though i dont know how similar there circuits are / thanks for the info on noise ill use a Rocktron intellifx in the loop .most likely anway

I haven't found the EL34's the slight bit muddy. Alot depends on speakers, pickups and of course how much gain you run.
The EG3 is my favorite Marshall tone. It definitely has the flavor of a hopped up SL, but it is a very smooth tone as well, not shrill or buzzy. The SL2 is a great module but when compared to the EG3/4, it is a totally different flavor. Different attack and the midrange is different, more open sounding. Think of the EG3/4 as a sculpted, idealized marshall tone and the SL2 as the classic marshall spank with a little more gain available.

Hope this helps...

I never noticed ANY mud with the EL34s I had in my MOD50. I am currently using KT-88s and enjoying them too, although I would still like to try out the E34L in there! :D