HWM LIVE: Little Black Baby Jesus and Sacred Waterhsed

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Czajkowski

Reaction score
low-crawling under the wire at Fort Mastercard
Here are the opening two tunes from the second set of our CD release concert at Smith Hall at San Diego State University before Jerry Goodman came out to join us for the rest. The tunes are Little Black Baby Jesus and Sacred Watershed

The recording was done by Mark Kirshner. There are some pictures of his sick mobile rigs on the HWM Imagery page. He was really a pleasure to work with.

The initial psychedelic guitar extravaganza is called Little Black Baby Jesus and it segues into a trio version of Sacred Watershed (the first track on our album, The Great American Road Trip). Little Black Baby Jesus is in two parts: an Eventide backwards delay fest interspersed with Hendrixy clean chords. Then it moves to an obvious hat tip to EJ. Then it is off to the races with Sacred Watershed. We really like opening up with Sacred Watershed because it is a challenge to be to get that multi-layered fusion-Americana-free-jazz thing happening convincingly right off the bat with a nice atmosphere, but this one feels pretty good to me. I hope you like them!

John

Wow, sounds awesome! If I may ask what module(s) /effects are you using to get that EJ lead tone? Very close!
Love the cleans as well. You have a great sounding rig!

Thanks guys,

To try to nail the EJ tone as far as the gear goes is going to take a medium fuzz (like a Fulltone '69) on a Marshall medium-gain channel like the SL, ie4 ch 3 or even the SL2 A at a low gain setting. You really have to watch the presence on the power amp too. I am NOT doing this here. I do when we cover some EJ tune though!

1. For my lead tone here, it is the single coil on the Ernie Ball Steve Morse model (which is not at ALL like a Strat bridge pickup - more like a Tele).
2. Straight into (via the Switchblade) the M4 MHG channel B (bright switch 2, bass switch 2, Bass 11:00, Middle 10:00, Treble 1:00. Master volume 12:00.
(after this there is a Decimater noise gate, but it fried on me before the gig, but I didn't have time to replace it since it is patched into my Switchblade, so it is just on bypass - a little tone suck, but not much)
3. VHT 2-50-2 Low power, class A/B) Presence 2:00, Depth 1:00, warm voicing. Volume at 2:00!
4. 2x12 Earcandy with Eminence Swamp Thang and Governor. The engineer mic'ed the Swamp Thang with SM57, but I don't know what mic pre he ran it though. This is really important, but it was total chaos before the gig, so I just never go around to asking him.

After talking to Frank recently, I'm seriously jonesing for a MOD 50 head for live stuff. :twisted: or actually, I guess it is more like :roll:

Cool John. Good stuff as always.

I get a good EJ sound by using either Ch 3 on IE4 or EG3 module. I use a Fulltone Fat Boost, but I'd LOVE to try it with a '69 pedal. That would sound sweet.