Power tube EL34 comparision

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtr31

Reaction score
Helo all,

I have seen a few threads people asking about different power tubes for 34,s your basic choices are .JJ,SED, Tungsol, Ruby..

I can tell you my finding for anyone looking ..

The SED is the most classic 34 .it has less base and is 75% focused in the midrange.If you want to get some midrange honk these will do that .They sound good both clean or driven .but again the most Midrange driven of the bunch . They are also a little warmer ,smoother sounding as compared to other .

The Ruby BHT .This is a more powerful version of he STR Ruby .A lot of people swear by the Ruby str and they are good tubes .The sound is big bass and I would compare this more to a JJ El34L than the standard 34.
The midrange of this tube is not quite as pronounced as the SED and it accentuates a Lower Mid growl and less of the high mid bark the SED are capable of.

The Tung Sol;This guy is intresting it again is more aggressive than the SED. Too my ears it has a little less midrange a slight scoop .The description says it has a bit of 6l6 voicing in there and you do hear it.It is especially noticeable on the cleans .Cool tube this one may be more in between a 34 and KT88 as it does blend in some of the 6l6 flavour. ..

Anyway hope this helps ...

I've been using the JJ EL34's, and I find them very balanced, enough mids, great low mid growl, tight lows...smooth highs...Compared to my old Mullards, these are a cool choice...They are very reliable as well...

gtr31 said:
The Ruby BHT .This is a more powerful version of he STR Ruby .A lot of people swear by the Ruby str and they are good tubes .The sound is big bass and I would compare this more to a JJ El34L than the standard 34.

The Tung Sol;This guy is intresting it again is more aggressive than the SED. Too my ears it has a little less midrange a slight scoop .The description says it has a bit of 6l6 voicing in there and you do hear it.It is especially noticeable on the cleans .Cool tube this one may be more in between a 34 and KT88 as it does blend in some of the 6l6 flavour.
Good comparison of yours! :D

By SED do you refer to the New Sensor or C-logo Svetlana?

I myself am about to invest in a pair 34s and the Ruby BHT and TS are most likely the top candidates.

How is the breakup with the Ruby BHT? The STR I find breaks up rather early and being so loose and bottom heavy it tends to lose definition and turns itself into some kind of sonic spongecake. Would you say the BHT keeps it together and stays in character better?

The TS is the only pentode or pentode compatible valve to get top score in the The Tube Store's reviews, new prod. and NOS. I've only heard one clip of it on Youtube, where it is used in a metal amp - and probably not pushed into output distortion. Would you say it lends itself to dimed classic rock solos without exhibiting a hard edge like a KT88?

Thanx,
Jonas

Hey Joey ,

If you are talking classic rock /Hard rock I would go with the SED .They have more crunch and harmonics to em .Especially in the mids .

The BHT are similar to the Ruby STR ,but are a little tighter with more relaxed mids.

The TS is a little different ..it is the stiffest of the 3 because of the 6l6 flavor mixed in

Both the Ruby and TS have a more aggressive nature the the Svet winged "C"

gtr31 said:
Hey Joey ,

If you are talking classic rock /Hard rock I would go with the SED .They have more crunch and harmonics to em .Especially in the mids .

The BHT are similar to the Ruby STR ,but are a little tighter with more relaxed mids.

The TS is a little different ..it is the stiffest of the 3 because of the 6l6 flavor mixed in

Both the Ruby and TS have a more aggressive nature the the Svet winged "C"
OK, cheers! That was really good info and helped me with making my mind up which way to go! Seems Ruby and I have a slight fling going... ;)

I think any should be fine, I never hear a major difference between power tubes. Most people will never get the amp cranked enough to hear the difference I stick with what is reliable. JJs, Tung Sol and SEDs have been reliable. I'd be damned to hear a big difference though. :D

psguitar said:
I think any should be fine, I never hear a major difference between power tubes. Most people will never get the amp cranked enough to hear the difference I stick with what is reliable. JJs, Tung Sol and SEDs have been reliable. I'd be damned to hear a big difference though. :D
Yes I'm sure most are fine at moderate power levels. :) Most JJs are BTW tetrodes and the TS is trying to impersonate a tetrode and at breakup they will reveal their true selves, if they haven't already.

I'm running my EL34s to abuse a pair of M-Greenback type speakers, so the breakup character of them is of the essence for me. Ideally they should track well, yet sound fat and full with no tendencies of edginess, at full tilt. But then at these levels, the character of the saturated speaker smooths out a lot of the highs.

Matched pre burned set of Electo Harmonix from Tube Depot doesn't break the bank and is music to my ears! ,