Is it me or do Tc Electronics products SUCK...?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
I ve owned a G major and a Voice works..had em for not to long..both needed repairs so far..BOTH!
If you have owned their rack stuff..do you find its ALWAYS breaking down..or do I have just bad luck?
PS: was their service/support dept. of any help to you?

I use and have used a lot of TC Electronics stuff and never had a problem. You may have gotten two lemons in a row. As for their tech department i've never called them. I'd be interested to know how helpful they are in case i ever need them.

TC's stuff is usually very high caliber. Haven't used the G major, but I'd be very surprised if they released a lemon with that one.

I've had a G-Major for around 5 years, and all the reliability problems I've heard about it ring true for me. It's frozen up, one of the outer ring knobs has fallen off numerous times, the buttons on the front interface are flimsy, it has the tendency to freeze, then change settings. It really makes this unit a PITA.

On that note though, I LOVE the sounds I can get from it. Maybe they fixed all the problems it had by producing the G-Major 2?

I have now owned more of their stuff and used it even longer,,,
so far I feel some of their stuff is made cheaply and some of it well.
The service dept is good,but over worked...it takes like 2 months to get your gear fixed and back to you, Nice popel but they fix Tannoy and alot of other brands..so they must be swamped. But nice and helpful, otherwise.
I think the problem is Tc farms out production of some stuff to some really flimsy companies from time to time..my Voice works harmonizer was really flimsy, and so was its replacement...knobs felt so weak.
But...other stuff they do is wellmade.

:shock: Shock! Gasp! :shock:

I love TC Electronic! Never had it fail on me. I use a Nova System in my effects loop, a PolyTune so I don't p1ss off the audience and even my acoustic goes through a G-Natural.

To me the brand TC Electronic means I can sorta buy it without listening to it.

Yea this is strange. I used a G maj 1 for the longest time and nothing ever went wrong. I also lost a knob once and contacted customer service about it. They replaced it right away! Sent me a new knob at no charge!

"I've had a G-Major for around 5 years, and all the reliability problems I've heard about it ring true for me" said wengnutt

..... and Ive seen many other posts like that on the internet.
And Ive even seen posts like that over at the TC helicon forum.
I think its obvious...Tc electronics has some inconsistant products.
Some good..some not so good.
But (and I dont know if all of you understood me on this point) there service dept is quite good..but over worked (could it be from all of the units coming in? The original G major seems like a particularly frail unit.)..but they do get it done..just takes 1-2 months.
Nuff said. You are all on your own.

After still more gigs I STILL insist:I

have now owned more of their stuff and used it even longer,,,
so far I feel some of their stuff is made cheaply and some of it well.
The service dept is good,but over worked...it takes like 2 months to get your gear fixed and back to you, Nice popel but they fix Tannoy and alot of other brands..so they must be swamped. But nice and helpful, otherwise.
I think the problem is Tc farms out production of some stuff to some really flimsy companies from time to time..my Voice works harmonizer was really flimsy, and so was its replacement...knobs felt so weak.
But...other stuff they do is wellmade.
GtrGeorge

Their delays and effects algorithms are really good quality. They are also very transparent and allow your amps character to shine through heavy processing. Some of the stuff could benefit from better build quality, but I guess they sacrifice that to create a more attractive price point. :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Just curious if the folks that had problems use a power conditioner with the units that failed. Bad or not enough juice may have fried some components. I have never had any problems with a T.C. Electronics unit, ever. The knobs on the G Major are flimsy as hell though. They addressed that pretty decently on the G Major 2. Much better.
Just a side note: Check out the Carvin AC120S power conditioner. It is a really great unit and priced very low for the feature set it offers. Solid all the way down to the 12GA power cord. Made in the USA. Seriously, check it out.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=AC120S&cid=61

I do like the sound of my Tc GMajor..but yeah the knobs and potentiometers are really,really flimsy....and It concerns me that one day they wont work at all.
I have read the forums at Tc and its just an accepted aspect of the Gmajor . I have read here the GMajor 2 is better..buy havent tried one.
I think Tc is lucky that many many of their users are weekend warriors..not everyday users. I dont think a Gmajor would last long on a punishing tour.
I suppose they increased their profit by buying really cheap potentiometers. I jope they learned their lesson. They probably have replaced many many units under warranty.
GtrGeorge

i can say from owning a g-major, d-two and 2290 that the g-major is made well below TC's standards. I had all the classic g-major problems: freezing, knobs falling off, encoder not working very well, etc. it's just not a well made unit.

Still lovin my Polytune...They couldn't work or sound better...Also have an original TC Electronics Finalizer (Wizard Series) that kicks a millions kinds of ***...And has never failed me once...

Watch, now all my ****'s gonna break...

Mikal69 said:
i can say from owning a g-major, d-two and 2290 that the g-major is made well below TC's standards. I had all the classic g-major problems: freezing, knobs falling off, encoder not working very well, etc. it's just not a well made unit.

Yes! +100. A TC setup of a D-two and a M-one will blow away a Gmajor, not only in functionality, but overall tones. I started with this setup then sold it for a Gmajor, then went back to the original setup. That was tough lesson.