KH speakers

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
I was able to demo an RM100kh on the weekend and thought it was great. I'm still looking for a Lynch Box but might have to settle for this...although I'm not sure I'd be totally happy with the KH modules.

I was also impressed with the RS412KHX cabinet. The combination of the 2 different speakers in it sounded good to my ears. Anyone else ever try one of these? How's it compare to the RS412KH100 speaker cabinet?

Thanks.

Ok, let me put it this way...does anyone have any experiences with a cab that mixes V30's and G12T-75's? Thanks

Speaker mixing and matching is tricky.... Here are four Celestions.

The vintage 30 (officially known as the G12 Vintage 30) is first and the G12T-75 is second. They are completely different beasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acguJjsgDg

If you want to mix and match, I'd look at what other companies have done..

Bogner has cabs that have the Vintage 30 and Greenback. They sound great together. I've used it but I always use the Greenback for recording.

Matchless has used G12H30s and Greenbacks in an X pattern. This too sounds very good.

Orange uses Vintage 30s. Marshall uses G12t-75s in their 1960 -- probably because it tuned best to the JCM800, and became a standard. They also use Greenbacks in their 425.

Ampwise. I don't know the difference between the KH and the Lynch Box. I would think cosmetic. Do you like green alligator or black? The difference is in the modules and power tubes they come with. I like the KH1 for cleans.

I think Bogner mixes the g12t-75 with the vintage 30 not the greenbacks and 30's. Its the Uberschall cab that has that ,but I am not a fan of mixing different speakers. Most people I know in the music business have the same speakers in their cabs as well. Just mho.

It depends upon the cabinet. I know I played a new Bogner cab that had Greenbacks and Vintage 30s -- it was for the Alchemist. It's just like not many people know about the Marshall 425 anymore.

Personally I' prefer the Greenbacks of the other Celestions, but then I go for a more vintage tone than a lot of people these days. See signature for disclaimer.

I have another thought. If I bought 2 RS412KHX cabinets with the x pattern speakers and wasn't happy I could just switch speakers and have one cabinet loaded with V30's and one cabinet with G12T-75's!

JD said:
I have another thought. If I bought 2 RS412KHX cabinets with the x pattern speakers and wasn't happy I could just switch speakers and have one cabinet loaded with V30's and one cabinet with G12T-75's!

Yep. I love to mix and match speakers. I haven't had a cab with only one type of speakers in it in over 10 years.

Yep. I love to mix and match speakers. I haven't had a cab with only one type of speakers in it in over 10 years

What speakers do you like for hard rock detuned applications (if you go there)? I run v30s but I am curious iof the grass is greener...

Ok, so I was wrong, the store had the RS412KH100 cabinet. I bought it and a used Rm100 and have been playing through it for a couple hours. So far everything sounds great! Although I think I might be deaf now.

Jammed today with the RM100C and 412 listed below. So far it seems like a great combination. We did stuff from Neil Young, ZZTop to Candlebox to Corrosion of Conformity (std tuning in D). Tons of bass when needed, lots of mids, cutting highs, just did what was asked.

BTW, went with The Governor in the RM100C to get the wattage ratting up (150w).

Ok, so I have an Rm100 and one RS412KH100 cabinet. I just spent the last hour reading about ohm stuff on the net and am no smarter. Apparently there is no tonal difference in the settings, but what is best to use? 4/8/16???
..and please keep it simple for me. Thanks.

Yeah, I didn't get much smarter on reading about ohms loads either. What I did get was lower is better as long as the amp is rated there. I run 2 x 8 ohms loads = 4 ohms. Amp ohms switch at 4 ohms.

JD said:
Ok, so I have an Rm100 and one RS412KH100 cabinet. I just spent the last hour reading about ohm stuff on the net and am no smarter. Apparently there is no tonal difference in the settings, but what is best to use? 4/8/16???
..and please keep it simple for me. Thanks.

The best setting is the one that matches the setting on the head...this is the best advice anyone can give. :)

As far as I know many Randall MTS 4x12 cabs can do 4 or 16 Ohms in Mono (all 4 speakers connected) or 8 Ohms stereo (each side of the cab is a pair of speakers.) The one exception I know of is the Lynch Box, which is 8Ohms Mono only.

You should hear and feel a slight difference between 4 and 16Ohms since you're basically using a different amount of wire on the transformer to match the head with the cab and since transformers are 'reactive' the way they pass signal will vary with frequency/amount of wire on the coil.

I can't remember which way round it goes but one will feel more open and the other a little 'stiffer' plus one will sound a little darker.

So what happens if I plug in to 8 ohms on the speaker and leave the speaker switch on mono instead of switching it to stereo?

JD said:
So what happens if I plug in to 8 ohms on the speaker and leave the speaker switch on mono instead of switching it to stereo?

If I follow what you are saying and you are talking about the MTS backplate then the load you are really plugging into is not 8Ohms stereo..it will be 4 or 16Ohms Mono (or as marked on the plate.)

Randall-Mic-Eliminator-lg.jpg

If it's not an MTS cab then the effect will depend on that cab...on a Mesa cab, for example, plugging into the 'stereo' input makes it perform as a stereo cab...

Yes, that's what it looks like. I'm just trying to figure out all the combinations. So If I switch the amp setting to 8 Ohms and plug in to either the left or right I will only be using 2 of the 4 speakers?

JD said:
Yes, that's what it looks like. I'm just trying to figure out all the combinations. So If I switch the amp setting to 8 Ohms and plug in to either the left or right I will only be using 2 of the 4 speakers?

You switch the amp setting to 8Ohms *and* the switch on the cab to Stereo..in that case plugging into either side is using 2 speakers and is 8Ohms.

So I assume that's how you can plug 2 heads in to one cabinet? Just by each using one pair of speakers?
Now I just have to figure out if 4 ohms mono or 16 ohms mono sounds better!
Thanks for your help and patience with me.

Just to clear some stuff up if you plug a single head into both sides of the cab in stereo be sure that the head is set to 4 ohms as two 8 ohm loads run in parallel becomes a total of 4 ohms. If you are running 2 heads into the same cab it would be each head set to 8 ohms.
As for the sound difference with 4 and 16 ohm settings: 16 ohms has a wider bandwidth giving higher highs and lower lows. For some reason it also tends to seem a bit quieter.
4 ohms is a more focused sound as it is tighter in the lows and highs. It also has a touch more volume.