Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the new detuned clip I just posted on my site too. I was tuned to drop c and using a Samick MH2 mahogany body guitar with Lace Drop & Gain pickups in it. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=477657

Like the sound you're getting out of that module..
Gotta mail the "BoogieMan" and get myself one :wink:

Thanks for the info on the recording!

Songman68 said:
Check out the new detuned clip I just posted on my site too. I was tuned to drop c and using a Samick MH2 mahogany body guitar with Lace Drop & Gain pickups in it. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=477657

I like that clip better than your last one.
That was nice.
What were you running the gain knob at?

I just tried out my 1086 for the first time last night and had a weird issue going on. I played with it for a bit (master volume at 9-10 o'clock, level at like 10-11 c'clock) and for the first like 20 minutes it sounded pretty terrible, I was almost shocked. I've heard so many good things and I was so excited about it! :( Then out of nowhere it started sounding a little bit better. I always let my power tubes warm up for like 2-5 minutes before I switch from standby, so did the preamp tubes in it just need to warm up a bit? It was sounding pretty nice after that, but since everyone else was home by then I couldn't play very loud to really "hear" the tone. Is what I experienced normal? I never had that happen with my other MTS modules, so I'm hoping it's not a problem with mine. Also, how does the mid-voicing work technically-speaking? Does it just cut the mids, or does it change the way the mid knob functions? Any sample settings? I didn't have a long time to dial it in, might try to tweak it tonight and hopefully I won't have that weird thing going on again! :)

Well the word on the street is that Randall has not gotten any of the Ultra XL's in from Eden yet. With any luck I should have the 1086 on monday! :lol:

Hehe you will love the 1086! I have tweaked it a bit now and I LOVE it! It is easily my favorite high gain module now! :D

Hey guys,
I ordered a Randall 1086 Module from BoogieStreet Guitars. Can't wait to get it! My reasons for getting this module (I have the XTC and Clean Modules right now) are the versatility in sound shaping (the Gain boost switch and Mid voicing switches), and hearing soundclips posted online (Thanks Songman). I look forward to having the 1086 as my main distortion module, and the Blackface (also on it's way) as my clean module. BTW, I have a Randall RM50HB head.

Distortoman

I got mine in Wednesday and put it in the RM50HB before rehearsal. So far this is my favorite module. Will use it next week in rehearsal with the band to see how it cuts through.

Dang, you guys are killing me here with the 1086. . . need. . . one. . . .

[quote by NED] "I got mine in Wednesday and put it in the RM50HB before rehearsal. So far this is my favorite module. Will use it next week in rehearsal with the band to see how it cuts through."

That's cool to hear, Ned. I am curious, what type of music does your band play? My band plays original alternative/metal music. Also, what characteristics about the 1086 make it better than your other high gain modules? I am very excited about getting my 1086, which I also use with a Randall RM50HB head. Do you use the master volume boost jack on the back of head?

Distortoman
[/quote]

We're a cover band and play Green Day, Collective Soul, Weezer, Puddle of Mudd, The Cars (no keyboards), Switchfoot, Nickelcrack, Maroon5 and a bunch of other stuff.

The only other high gain module I've used is the Recto which I had in my RM4. Since I've gone to the RM50 head I'm only using either the Plexi or an Eggie SL, I can get some good chugga chugga on the SL with the right palm muting.

I'm really hoping to dial in the 1086 for just a bit more, kinda like the SL on steriods. I know it will get me there I just need to spend time with it while rehearsing. Found that if you dial in a sound by yourself you end up changing it when playing with the group.

Hey Ned,
That's cool that you play in modern rock cover band. Do you guys play out often? Also, how much do you guys get to practice a week?
Good point on the fact that there is a huge difference between dialing in a sound by yourself versus dialing in a sound that works well in the context of a band. I have found out the hard way, that may times, when I think I have found the perfect setting for distortion when I play by myself, I try it with the band, and it doesn't mesh well at all. It frustrates me, but it is just a fact of playing. Context is everything. Sometimes the tone you thinks sounds horrible by youself ends up being the perfect tone in the band context. Also, I was wondering how you have EQed the 1086 so far: Gain boost on or off? Mid voicing switch to the left or right? I was also wondering if you notice a big difference between the mid voicings of the two positions for the mid voicing switch, or if the maximum midrange level of the left position is like the minimum setting on the right hand setting? (I hope that makes sense!!!) I have my 1086 being shipped out to me this week, and I can't wait to get it! Sorry for all the questions, but I am just curious to know from someone who has the 1086 and plays out.

Thanks,
Distortoman

We are currently booked twice a month through July and have been rehearsing twice a week for almost a year. The rehearsal really helps as there are times I completely zone during a gig but can play most of our songs on automatic. We played a bar in Austin on Thursday night and got offered the house band gig.

I've only spent about 30 minutes with my 1086. Mid voicing to the right produces a singing/voilin like distortion.

Hey i was wondering for the people that own the 1086. How much of that plexi sound can you get out of the 1086? Im looking to use the 1086 as my main tone, metallica black album tone, and also hoping i can get enough out of it to give me a southern rock kind of tone. Dont need it to be a exact tone from like a fender or whatever but just wondering if you think it would give me enough out of it so i wouldnt have to get a seperate module so i can plan on getting the rm100. loaded with a clean module(dont know which one), rectified, and 1086.
thanks,
devin

Hey muskpsmesane,
From my experience with the 1086, you can DEFINITELY get a good Southern Rock/Classic Rock type of tone out of it if you put the Gain Boost Switch to the left and put the Mid Voicing switch to the right. In my opinion, the classic rock tone from the 1086 is very comparable to the Plexi module, so in conclusion, I would say that you wouldn't have to get a separate module for the "Southern Rock" tone, because the versatility of the 1086 module, in my opinion, is unparallelled by any of the other high-gain modules so far. It really CAN go from PLEXI to RECTIFIED.

Hope this helps,
Distortoman

Thats AWESOME. Thanks man. Yeah im just waiting for the money to roll in and im going to go pick me up a rm100m loaded with most likely a Blackface, Rectified, and 1086. Cant wait. Should be sweet!
devin

Just got my 1086. It kicks ***, very versitile and has lots of different tones in it. Blues to metal and back. Kicks ***.

No I haven't. I don't think it's available here in Holland, have you tried it?