DLX Module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskpsmesane

Reaction score
Im planning on getting a rm100m loaded with a clean module, rectified, and 1086. I had some questions concerning the clean modules. I tried the "clean" module and that it was really nice. Havnt tried any of the others. Im looking for the clean tone that Mark Tremonti used on the Alter Bridge album. It is said that he uses a Fender Twin Reissues and or a Fender Tone King for his Clean sounds. I was told that if im looking for that sound to get the DLX module. Let me know what you think. Just trying to get other opinions.
devin

Randall's module descriptions say a "Blackface" module is voiced like a Fender Twin, and the DLX voiced like a Deluxe Reverb.

I have a Blackface module for my RM50 combo and my main amp before my switch to the MTS series was a '70 SFTR and some stomps.

I very familiar with Tremonti's tones too. Get the Blackface module instead. I use a BF and a Recto in my combo and I'm very satisfied, and I haven't even done the cap mod to the Recto module yet.

Thanks for the input. I went to www.marktremonti.net to see his rig. Its a Fender Twin Reverb 1965 Reissue 2x12 that he uses for his clean sound. So it just so happen that it was a reverb. Since you DLX was based off of a reverb should that suit me better, instead of the Blackface?
devin

IIRC all blackface-era "Twins" were actually Twin Reverbs.

Twins were high-wattage combos (my SF was like 85 watts or something) running off a quad of 6L6s, with a solid-state rectifier. Deluxes were like 18 or 22 watts and ran off a pair of 6V6s. I'm pretty sure they had tube rectifiers.

Get the Blackface module. If you go DLX, you may end up with more of a tone suited for country or blues.

Jeff R said:
IIRC all blackface-era "Twins" were actually Twin Reverbs.

Twins were high-wattage combos (my SF was like 85 watts or something) running off a quad of 6L6s, with a solid-state rectifier. Deluxes were like 18 or 22 watts and ran off a pair of 6V6s. I'm pretty sure they had tube rectifiers.

Get the Blackface module. If you go DLX, you may end up with more of a tone suited for country or blues.

+1

Cool. Thanks a lot man, really appreciate it. Iv got another question though. Do you have to change the preamp tubes that are in the modules itself like you do the ones in the power section of the amp?

Also Im looking into the 1086. If you know about it how much of that plexi sound can you get out of the 1086? Im looking to use the 1086 as my main tone, metallica black album tone, and also hoping i can get enough out of it to give me a southern rock kind of tone. Dont need it to be a exact tone from like a fender or whatever but just wondering if you think it would give me enough out of it so i wouldnt have to get a seperate module so i can plan on getting the rm100. loaded with a clean module(possible blackface) rectified, and 1086.
thanks,
devin

I still have the factory tubes in all my modules. Preamp tubes tend to last much longer than power tubes. I would suspect the high-gain modules would consume tubes quicker than clean modules, but I'd still expect to get at least two years out of really pushed preamp tubes. I was a Boogie user for years and I replaced preamp tubes every two years and never had a preamp tube failure or problems with microphonic or noisy tubes. And I was a hell-pushing gainiac with the Boogies.

I did replace the pair of 6L6s in my RM50s power section when I got it because I couldn't bias them properly based on the manual instructions (mismatched perhaps?). I put in another set of Ruby-restamped Winged C's/SED Svets and all's fine now.

In 20 years of using tube amps I've never had a preamp tube die on me. That's not to say you can't improve an amp by upgrading the preamp tubes...but in general preamp tubes do not give out on you like power tubes do.

Latest posts