warhead combo questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serbusfish

Reaction score
ive just bought a warhead off ebay, and I have a few questions about it:

1. im after a dimebag tone, will the built in eq be enough or should I maybe get a eq pedal, like the mxr 6-band?

2. im getting the 150 watt combo version, is there any difference between that and the 300 watt head, e.g tone? I know its obviously not as loud

3. does the amp sound good at lower volumes as I will be playing in my bedroom mostly

thanks for any help

As far as I know, Dimebag used a Furmann parametric EQ in his chain, with mids cut, and then the mids on the amp turn up. He also used 2 Rocktron hush units as well, one after the guitar, and one in the loop, to keep his sound tight. I don't know if he used that same setup when he ran the Warheads though, but I imagine it will give you a tone very close to his.

I have the original WARHEAD head unit (not the X2 that was released later). I use a MXR-6, guitars are equipped with duncans or EMG passive pickups.
I set the head eq with the highs up and the lows about 3/4 up. Mids are all the way down. The MXR has the mids all the way up and the highs at 3/4 up with the lows at zero. The sliders look like a curve shape. The regular amp knobs are gain-8, level-8, bass-8, mid level-2, mid frequency-8, treble-10. It is a pretty good tone and pretty close to the D-BAG sound.

Good luck. It takes a while to figure out the built in eq and set it to where you like it. I think that is why the 2nd warhead did not have one.

thanks a lot for your help guys, as soon as I get my amp i'll see what I can do with it, but unfortunatly I cant get myself an mxr 6 band yet as im very short on cash til next month. just another question, will i need any kind of noise reducer for the amp or is it pretty quiet?

Mine is quiet. I don't use any noise gate and can leave the gitar volume up without any problems.
The settings I put up on the other reply should still give you a good sound. can't say for sure because mine is the 300 watt head unit. I use a custom built 200 watt 2x15 cab and a B-52 400 watt 4x12 cab that has a bass port for some extra bottom end(not that you need it) This amp rattles pictures off the walls with some chunky drop d mutes.

ok, well the settings you gave me make it sound great, so how would an extra eq pedal help me?

It takes the sound you are getting now and enhances it. I get more crunch and screaming harmonics (my cats don't like that very much) with the MXR.

ahh I see. which 6 band do you have, the black one or the vintage blue one? I heard the blue one is better, do you know if thats true?

I have the old blue one. It like it but have not tried the newer one. The only thing I wish it had a footswitch so I could use it to boost the leads and cut back when I play the rythm.