pantera tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walshinator666 said:
Hey Pete.I've got a ultra xl and was wondering if you could mod it so I could get a heavy pantera tone?

email me at [email protected] - been busy modding modules and haven't been watching the board as much as I should. :)

Pete

Would like to know how that turns out :) I used to be a Dime worshipper, have tried to stay away from the tone since I look a lot like him (supposidly). But still cover Pantera tunes from time to time. Would be cool to be able to throw a Dime module in for instant tone :)

This is something that can help us a lot in the discussion within this thread.

FYI there are a number of "Head in a pedal" solutions for this now, including the Randall RGOD. I can tell you as someone who owned a literal RG100ES, his tone is probably 50% parametric eq in the effects loop, 30% his fingers and maybe 20% that head.

The loop EQ is the largest part, by far. So you might want to try the thickest module you can find first, which is probably the cheapest. Thick distortion is very out of vogue post-thrash.

So the "lowest quality" distortion will get you the closest. E.g. a Peavey 5150 or Dual Rec is worse for getting that tone than a Crate.

Also you can pickup a Crate or Ampeg SS amp for probably $150 and have something more consistent, being SS. Lastly, for the cost of a module you can probably get an actual RG100ES or preamp.

Just understand as someone who went down this path you'll discover his tone is mostly a studio thing. Live or in room its a fairly unmanageable setup with lots of feedback and distortion that fatigues quick.