effects loop question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrScary

Reaction score
ok i got an MTS head the RM100.. Wish it were a lynch, but alas i digress.

ok so.. i use a digitech S200 for my effects processor, with a BBE and Korg Rack Tuner
the RM100 only has one in and out for each effects channel, so I cant run the S200 in stereo
SO......
anyone got any advice on what i can do with the S200? i THINK i can make a patch that has xxxx effects in one channel and xxx effects in another.. thus maybe i can put the series type effects in one channel, and the paralell type effects in the other..
thoughts.. ideas? GO.

You wouldn't be able to run in stereo anyway since the amp is not stereo in nature. If you had two amps you could but one amp will not allow for stereo. Any FX unit used for any MTS needs to be run in mono. The only exception is if you are running an FX unit that can be split into two autonomous mono units and you want to use it that way. Then you could possibly use one in series and one in parallel or you could just daisy chain it.

Peace, Joshua

RIGHT!
thats what i was thinking
i think the S200 can run 2 chains in mono and i can put effect per channel.. the ones that belong in series vs the ones that belong in paralell.
ill work this idea over tonight.
do you typically put noisegates in series or paralell?

I run my gate in series before my FX processor. I actually run two gates (unnecessary in most cases but since I use my rig for recording....).

* ISP Decimator G-string -- this is a pedal version that came out before they did the rack version. I use this for my fuzz and overdrive pedals -- no effects processor does the fuzz like a germanium fuzz).

* in the FX loop -- dbx 166xl gate/compressor/limiter -- this takes care of the preamp noise without cutting off the tails on the notes (at least the way I have it configured). Also I use it as a very soft knee compressor and level boost for the clean channel, and it doesn't affect the dirt channels very much at all, just brings the clean channel up to close to their level in volume. And it has a limiter that stops the clipping of the clean channel so that it doesn't sent too hot of a signal to my effects processor.

The effects I run as mono. Everything in the serial loop. I can do the wet/dry blending in the effects processor. That's the point of the parallel loop -- wet/dry blending. So if I can do it in the processor itself, I don't even use the parallel loop. Keeps things simple.

I'm not about to run another tube amp for stereo. If I really want to run a stereo rig I'm going modeling. It gets hot enough in this studio as it is in the summer with one amp with the AC running full.

i configured the S200 so that it had 2 channels.. left was the chrous, right was the delay
ran one thru series, one thru paralell
bad part was both channels have the eq and gate connected to each other, but after that it breaks it off left and right
i have the eq basically off, totally flat
when i use it like this, i cant control the effects level with the rm100's effects knob for mixing wet\dry.. i have to reach behind the amp and fook with the input knob.

To run true stereo you need to run your effects unit in stereo, connect the left or right return to the Randall amp, and run that into one cabinet (or speaker). then connect the opposite channel of the effects unit to the FX loop return of a second amp and run that to another cabinet or speaker.

Otherwise any "stereo" effect is going to be the result of comb filtering or other weird phase interaction.

oh im not worried about running stereo
i was hopin to use the S200 to make a patch so all left input\output would be all series effects and the all right input\output would work for the paralell effects.

Don't mind me. I've never really figured out the purpose of the parallel loop. I do all the wet/dry mixing in my effects processor, run everything through the serial loop.

i just went thru the amp setup again
i was using the grail as my lead and the mr scary as the rythm
ooops.. i switched em around and its rockin now!