• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Plexi & Brown Modules SOLD

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're tempting me, bro! I'd like these, but I've bought two modules in the last week (SL+ & XTC). If I bought 4 in a week that would probably call for counseling. lol

How do the SL+, Brown, & Plexi differ in your opinion? Likes/dislikes? How closely can you emulate the sound of each with each?

The Plexi and Brown are pretty different in my opinion. The Brown is a much darker sound, but it still mixes really well in a band situation. I think it really does the old Van Halen sound well (with some verb & phase). It's looser than the SL+. This was my favorite for 80's hair-band rhythm stuff.

The Plexi can get fairly close to the SL+ tone with a pedal, but it really isn't as high gain as either the Brown or the SL+. If you do any classic rock songs, this IS your huckleberry.

How does it compare to the SL+ in your opinion.

I own the SL+ and have been wanting a brown module, just seeing if it is worth the investment or not since I own the Plexi as well, not to mention the Mr. Scary, which to me has some sick tones.

The Brown is darker and looser than the SL+. Not as much gain. Close, but less. It makes a great rhythm module. I'd call the Brown more old-school and the SL+ more modern (not as modern as the Mesa sound though). Also, the Brown takes to effects WAY better than the SL+, which never sounded good with any time-based pedals.

In my opinion, the brown has it's own kinda voicing too. I had all 3 side by side when i bought my rm100 and the plexi and sl+ can get mighty similar between each other except for the gain/bass differences on each of course, but the brown was just a different school of marshall. Cap mod is a must on that one too. Very smooth tone and a little on the darker side of things. Has kinda of a 70's, early 80's tone going on. Btw, at this price, that's a steal. I dont know why you aren't asking more lol. Good luck on the sale though!