1087 Question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughJasol

Reaction score
Does the 1087 have the metal tube cage still installed after Pete gets done modding it? Just curious . . . mine never had one (that's the way it was when I bought it used), yet I took a cover from another module to see if it would still fit without interfering with the modded components, and it seemed to fit fine. :?

I had one and curiously it also had no tube cage...The seller told me Pete liked to leave them off because they can only "add noise." Don't know if that's true or not...I take all mine off anyway so I can change tubes faster...

Never told anyone that they added noise. I did do tests to see if using the cage had any purpose other than keeping your hands off the hot tubes until you could find a screwdriver. It doesn't. I figured it MIGHT cut down on noise a little, but it made no difference. Modules were just as noisy without the cage as with the cage.

Since the cages don't really serve a purpose other than to make someone wait a bit before changing tubes, I leave them off when it could interfere with wiring or be a pain. I did get a module back once that had a wire that was grounding out on the cage, so more often than not I just remove the cage.

Pete

Thanks a lot!
I just bought a used XTC and it was missing the cage. I wasn't sure if it would affect the functionality of the module. I didn't think that it really did much, but it's nice to be certain. I'm thinking about selling the cages on my other modules as replacement parts now. :lol: