power amp with RM4....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If weight isn't an issue, I'd go with the Randall RT2/50. If you want a more lightweight stereo tube solution, the Mesa 20/20 is a great way to go . . . I'm happy with mine, and while I've never tried the Marshall, all the research I did prior to deciding on the Mesa told me that the Mesa is hands down the better of the two . . .

Well i've been offered a marshall 20/20, that's why i need to know, and there's not a lot else around at the moment.

Here's an off the wall suggestion - I got a 10 watt single-ended power amp custom made by MJW Amplification for around ?400-450.

The advantage over the 20/20 is that it uses one of the larger valves (5881 in my case) rather than EL84s. Felineguitars also has one (it was seeing/hearing his one that made me order one).

It sounds like a "big" amp, only you can use it in the "sweet spot" while at home without needing an attenuator or soundproofing.

Can't you take the Marshall home and try it out? The word offered kind f suggests that would be in the line of possibilities.

I've used the 20/20 in the past and liked it. If it is a good offer i'd say to go for it. The el84's are great tubes as far as tone goes which is why it was at one time a favorite of mine. It is also a reliable amp which is in very stark contrast to everything else marshall makes.

Peace, Joshua

I don't have any personal experience with the Marshall 20/20 myself...but when I was shopping/researching power amps, I read in numerous places that the Marshall 20/20 sounds good but is prone to overheating.

If you're still looking for a 1U 20/20, I've been running a mesa 20/20 for couple months now and absolutely love it; it does color the tones toward classic recto a bit, but I like that low-end sag feel from rectos anyway. I sold my RT2/50 purely to lighten the load but in the end I don't feel like I compromised on tone at all, and surprisingly don't miss the power reduction either; rack rig hangs right in there with my RM50 no problem.