mr scary

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the Scary can be little more versatile than I originally thought. Since I got a new volume pedal I decided to see if it would clean up, give a standard 70s rock overdrive, as well as, the crazy 80s overdrive.
Some real basic chording, & not all that clean playing either.
Guitar Jackson DXMG (EMG 81 bridge, 89 neck - which was split to a single coil)
Morley PVO volume > RM4 & Mr Scary module > Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=9635591

I was suprised to get a clean sound out of it with the gain at 2 o' clock.

Hamner, if you still want an SL+, I may be selling mine to fund a Custom 3, since I'm using my Ultra XL more and more.

PM me if you're interested ;)

Daryl said:
Isn't the Scary supposed to be a Soldano SLO tone?

I would say to think SLO with EL34s. Mike actually used to offer that option and only stopped a couple years ago. Before i'd gotten the Randall, I'd asked him about it, and he had like one board left that he could do it with. I don't know it is possible that GL had the EL34 SLO back then.

This doesn't mean you'll cop that tone exactly with the Mr. Scary if you dropped EL34s in your amp. It also depends upon the speaker cab you've got, too. What these signature modules are designed to do is get real close to the sound of the rig that the guitarist was using at the time.