New to board with Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskpsmesane

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new here so if these questions have already been answered sorry. Anyways, i played my first randall over the weekend. They dont carry them i dont think anywhere in va which sucks. I tried out the xtc module and it wasnt really what i was looking for but the clean sounded awesome. Iv been on the search for "that sound" for a while. Iv gone from marshall, to peavy, to b52, to fender, to mesa, to line 6, and now to randall. I know im gettings some type of rack gear like, effects processor, tuner, power conditioner, stuff like that but dont know if i should go with the rm100 head or the rm4 rt250. The rm100 seems more simple, 100 wats el34s. To where the rt250 you can use the 6l6s and el34s and combine them for a full 100 watts and it splits the cab or whatever, im not really sure on what the rt250 does wattage wise. If someone could explain it to me that would be great. But im planning on getting one clean module, looking into the recto, 1086, and the ultraxl. Im looking for the metallica black album sound for my regular tone, and mesa rectifier tone for more chevelle ish and tool sounds. And also looking into a more southern rock distortion sound too. I know you go from recto-plexi using the 1086 but how much of a difference is there? Also because of all the rack gear plus the head or rm4 im looking at a floorboard to store all my settings so there wont be any tap dancing. Can you be using say all the 3 modules on the rm100 head, hit the stand by button, switch out one module with another and still use ur settings saved on the floorboard for the new module you put in? hopefully i didnt word it to confusing. And wow this is long. thanks
devin

The RT2/50 is 50 watts a side and can be channel switched or run in stereo. Not sure if you can bridge for 100 watts or not.

I use a Axess-Electronics.com MFC5 with my rack and RM50 head. The midi footswitch will switch the channels/modules on your head. If a particular patch is using channel 3 on your RM100 and you swap modules the foot controller doesn't know the difference. The midi control is in the amp not the preamp module.

The benefit of the MTS series is that when your sick of your amp or want a different sound you spend < $250 and buy a new amp.

There is a huge difference between the Plexi and the 1086. I would go for the Plexi to get southern/classic rock sounds. Sounds like with the RM100 you would want clean module (Vox, Blackface or clean), Plexi and 1086.

Hey, thanks ned. Yeah i just heard you can put them together to run a full 100 watts but i heard its better to run 50 watts and just push the amp a little further. The music im playing in my band now wont be using the classic southern rock kind of sound but i like that cause im into that type of music too. But what i was asking about the 1086 and the plexi and rectified is that its says under the discription of the 1086 that it can range from the rectified sounds to the plexi. And i was saying is maybe i could use the 1086 for the more classic southern sounds if it really does have enough of that plexi sound to it once you dial it in right and i figured the recto would do me well for the chevelle tool like sounds and the 1086 for my main distortion, metallica black album kind of tone. And yeah i played the clean module and liked it, i heard the blackface was a little to bright like not deep enough, and i havent checked out the vox clean cause theres nowhere in va to play randalls.
devin

www.myspace.com/coldsun

I know what you mean about the XTC module. I have the RM100M head and have both the XTC and Recto modules. I play metal so there is really no need for me to have a module with a lighter gain stage. The Recto on the other hand is nice! I have the cap mod done on it so it stays nice and tight. Great bottom end for the palm mutes but also responds well for leads. I definately want to try the 1086 and Ultra XL modules though just to compare them to the Recto. I have been told that the Blackface module is real nice for cleans.

Although I don't have mine anymore, when I had my randall gear I LOVED the 1086 and the blackface modules the most, and if you need 3 also pick up the plexi. Three best modules out thus far IMO. Good luck in the search, as ned said above the nice thing is that you only have to spend 200-250 for a new preamp instead of 1k for a whole new amp! :lol: