Power amp choices

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phase... inverter.... tube? lol

I'm still pretty new to the tube stuff - is that one of the 3 clustered tubes (the smaller ones)?

SacredGroove said:
panther_king said:
I've also heard a ton of good things about the VHT/Fryette offerings.

The gold standard of power amps.

I've been using the VHT/Fryette 2/50/2 for seveal years now. It's not as expensive as most folks think. I paid $899 for mine brand new from Guitar Asylum, and that was not part of any special sale or anything. They maintain their resale value very well, though.

The main difference between the two VHT/Fryette models is that the 2/50/2 uses EL34s, while the 2/90/2 uses KT88s.

rhequiem said:
phase... inverter.... tube? lol

I'm still pretty new to the tube stuff - is that one of the 3 clustered tubes (the smaller ones)?

Yes, the left little tube (looked at from behind) is the PI tube for the left pair of power tubes (channel 2), and the right one is the PI tube for the right power tube pair (channel 1). The preamp tube in the middle is the input tube (for both channels).

I haven't tried many other poweramps than my RT2/50. But I can say this: the combo of RM4 + RT2/50 sounds like it should!
I ran my RM4 through my Laney combo's poweramp for a while, it sounded good.. but can't hold a candle to the RT2/50!

On the GSP: I'm planning on getting one for FX and odd patches (where I want some extreme preamp setting not worth setting the RM4 up for).
I have an MX200 now and I do not recommend it.

The sounds are fine, but it does not have a killdry function.
So you could set the mix to 100% wet and use patch volumes right? Wrong, there's no volume per patch (only a global input volume).
Using it in the series loop is a no-go as well because there's a really annoying silence when switching patches (like the old RM4's but way worse).

The GSP does not have this problem, it runs on 2 AudioDNA2 dsp chips instead of the MX200's one AudioDNA (version 1).
According to Digitechs marketing that's 8 times as powerful. (apply a pinch of salt)