Is Dan Donnegan not with Randall anymore?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed the stock are not bad. In fact I am happy with the 3 I have. SL+, Clean, Scary. Now to work on a good scooped sound stock mod. maybe 1086/plexi plus. who knows.

So Dan uses the 1086. We all know that. Does anybody know what other modules he uses?

I agree that it's disappointing that Randall lost Dan Donegan just because he actually USED the gear he endorsed. Some people just buy gear that their heroes use only to realize it doesn't sound they way they expected. George Lynch doesn't even use stock Randall stuff! He guts his lynch boxes with new transformers and get his modules modded then to top it off he runs his Soldano SLO-100 with it. Of course his tone is gonna rock, it cost like $7k!

I've learned that just because someone uses something doesn't mean it'll work for me. I know people use Marshalls left and right but I never got a good tone out of one that worked for me.

Here's a video of DevilDriver using stock Randalls. I assume this is their European rig as Kirk used Triple Rectifiers this summer when I saw them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjO50iHfauc

metalheadx05 said:
I agree that it's disappointing that Randall lost Dan Donegan just because he actually USED the gear he endorsed. Some people just buy gear that their heroes use only to realize it doesn't sound they way they expected. George Lynch doesn't even use stock Randall stuff! He guts his lynch boxes with new transformers and get his modules modded then to top it off he runs his Soldano SLO-100 with it. Of course his tone is gonna rock, it cost like $7k!

I've learned that just because someone uses something doesn't mean it'll work for me. I know people use Marshalls left and right but I never got a good tone out of one that worked for me.

Yeah...I think George Lynch has one of the most crippling cases of G.A.S. that I have ever seen. I almost expect him to do a "Howard Hughs" and end up in a dark room by himself with his nails and hair growing out like a wild man, surrounded by every piece of boutique gear imaginable. I'm a little surprised that Randall and US Musicorp. allow him to play other amps. I know that Ibanez endorsees are not allowed to play anything but Ibanez. It's not like the Randall gear is bad or anything. It rocks the fucking house. Dan Donegan knows and used his signature module on the band's current album. I agree with you on Marshalls. I have never been satisfied with their tone. It usually turns out that I can only find 1 or 2 decent sounds. They also are prone to breaking down. Between the plasitic input jack and the inadequate power transformers, I just don't think that they are good enough.

metalheadx05 said:
Here's a video of DevilDriver using stock Randalls. I assume this is their European rig as Kirk used Triple Rectifiers this summer when I saw them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjO50iHfauc

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that loves a Blackface and a Mr. Scary! I'm still looking for someone to sell me my first modded module though. Just so hard to decide. :)

Basically, go with what you like. Who cares what so and so artist uses? We're not going to sound like that anyway.

But Tag would know the difference. Tag knows tone. I value his opinion. Tag said that Marshall amps suck and Dumbles are the best. -- you would have to belong to The Gear Page to get this one so don't worry.

I'm working on something right now that has a nice upper midrange and a Robben Ford chirp, and nails his "Politician" tone exactly.

Julia said:
I'm working on something right now that has a nice upper midrange and a Robben Ford chirp, and nails his "Politician" tone exactly.

On the POD HD or modded module?