"The ShortHorn" Swampdonkey Brahma Mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khingpynn

Reaction score
Had my Brahma out at Swampdonkey Amps for the last little while going through various changes and such. The idea being to use the module as a platform to create a singnature mod with Chris of Swampdonkey. I did'nt want a huge change just build upon an allready good preamp.
Chris has quite a working knowladge of amp ccts hi fi, instrument and radio. I discussed with him the general direction I wanted to take the mod with terms like better clarity, beefier, less harsh top, a little more gain.
My knowladge of instrument amps is limited I do have some practicle experience and can perform several mods. However I'm not near Chris' level of competance.
The result is the named Brahma Shorthorn. Chris explained the cct topology and his changes. He explained 5-6 changes that occurred and why. The net result is the Shorthorn is far more complex sounding in the mids especially, a modest gain increase however a much more beefier tone and overal clearer tone. The highs are still there but there is a better balance.

We did a a final tweek which involved tweeking the bias resistance in the first preamp tube to give more gain. Though it sounded great I opted for the bias to be as it was before this tweek as I feel I can obtain similar results using the BBE Green Screamer... in other words the extra gain ( for Me anyways ) was not needed.

I'm going to work on getting out an A/B of my origional Brahma and the Shorthorn. We tested and matched up a quad set of JJ 12AX7 to reduce as much as possible any tube variance on tone.

Audio files to follow soon.

http://www.moose-meadow.com/swampdonkeyamps/index.html

Of the 5 changes that occured to complete this mod one was negated and one ( bias resistance ) has been reverted back to the origional first modded value. There may be a future change to this value however i need to use the mod in my rig for a whiole first.

we can never have enough modders... LOL

The thing with Swampdonkey's owner Chris Czech is he operates out of Cochrane Alberta Canada... neighbor of Calgary to the north.

Chris makes great amps and his service work rates are very reasonable. $50 for this mod... I never once felt rushed Chris' service is great and the knowladge is astounding.

I've done other projects with him and still do my own mods/repairs but I certainly cannot lay claim to having the level of competancy Chris has.

Anyone local to Calgary should check him out for sure.

Hey, man I'm out in Oregon. Do you think that I could get this mod or one similar from him if I shipped it to Alberta?

I'm pretty sure he would... you can contact Chris at...

http://www.moose-meadow.com/swampdonkeyamps/contact.htm

tell him you talked to Craig Squires about the ShortHorn. Give him a description of what you want.

Latest posts