V2 with mesa cabinet

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemonkey

Reaction score
I?m using a V2 head with a mesa 4x12 rectifier standard slant cabinet. It seems I have to cut the mids a lot. Would I be better off using a Randall cab?

I can't comment on the 4x12, as I use 2x12's only.

I did an A/B comparison of the MTS 2x12 and the Mesa 2x12 using my V2 head. The Randall had better bass response, and sounded better at bedroom volume, but once you cranked it up, they were overall pretty equal.

I never had to cut the mids much, though. Of course, I love a lot of mids.

This amp will probably never see a bedroom. I need a amp this loud just to hang with my bass players rig, and it does.

Uncle Monkey,

A couple of things are most likely causing the stronger mid-range sound. A traditional slant or angled cabinet will appear to have more mid-range and high end bit because the projection of the cabinet is higher more in your chest than a typical straight cabinet.
Also, if the Mesa cabinet is loaded with their black shadow speaker, it has a bit more mid-range than a Vintage 30 or other Celestion speakers. Obviously, you know it's ok to use the graphic EQ to cut the mid-range level if needed as well.

If you're looking for a new cab to match with the V2, I would recommend a new XL cabinet that we just came out with loaded with a new 100W Celestion speaker. The V2 and T2 are 400W heads with a lot of gain and low end, so we designed the new 400W cabinet to match these 2 amps. The new cabinet is called an XL100 with black cloth front or you can choose an XLT100 with metal grille front. These new cabs will be on our website by early next week. Also, we should be shipping these new cabinets around the mid-Feb.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
RD/MAN

I hope this helps.