SL+ Mod discussion ( origional pre later 08 version )

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khingpynn

Reaction score
Looks like I will likely purchase a SL+ from a fellow forum member. I origionally was out for a SL+ current production or a second Mr Scary but it looks like an older SL+ is more readilly available and will fit in just fine with what I'm trying to achieve with my Lynch Box MTS rig.

So here is what I got on this module. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are two versions... one up untill first half of 08 then one that was produced later half of 08 to presant.

The differences are as follow and are copied from other discussions...

The original values are 56k, green-blue-orange bands (R25) and 250pF (C14)
Jcm800 values are 33k, orange-orange-orange bands (R25) and 470pF (C14)

C3 the "bass cap" most popular values are 1000pF (.001) and 1500pF (.0015 )

The pcb must have been updated at some point. Originally, R31 was the resistor to change. Now it is R25. Regardless, the resistor directly behind the mids pot is the one to change. Your pcb probably labeled '00 year? There was at least one revision in '05.

To add to these "copies" there are three faceplate versions. First there was a silver faceplate with black round knobs, second silver faceplate with black stripe and black round knobs, and current black faceplate with black chickenhead knobs.

I started an XTC mod dicussion a while back and there was some good info shared. That discussion has slowed quite a bit. Someone else is welcome to come and rekindle that thread. I did not record the results as I was unable to mod the XTC to what I felt was a desireable result. I've sold that module and did not profit from the mod nor did I factor into the cost and any of the time put into modding it. I sold it with the origional parts included.

I recently had one of my Brahma's modded by Chris Czech of Swampdonkey Amps out of Cochrane Alberta. I will have sound sample in the near future. This will be in the Shorthorn thread.

Once I get the SL+ my intention is to first mod it to current production spec. I will record it before and after.

Anyone with experience with this module wether it be modding or not is welcome to join this discussion. I'd like to hear the plus and negative of both the current and the origional spec from a tone, and build standpoint.
It seems as though there is love for both versions.

Cheers

I know I have a stock Ultra Lead right now and switching between it and either of my modded modules is fairly drastic to me in terms of tonal quality. The UL is fairly flat and lifeless compared to the modules which I have upgraded with various higher quality capacitors.

If the module was made in 08, it should be current production spec, as the changes were made in 07, not 08.

Ok thats good to know... I've heard another version of that story which says before the later half of 08 it'***** and miss.

I'm hearing what you say on the mods... sometimes even if you keep the same values and upgrade to a higher quality capacitor it can make a difference.

I cannot believe the difference between my stock Brahma and the modded one... tonally they are still very similar however the modded one sounds as though it was brought to life... full clear in comparrison to flat and lifeless... that can be harsh to say and I must stress the changes are minimal but make the difference. The stock Brahma is still a great module.

Oh, of course! The stock modules are great by themselves. However, once you've heard a modded one it's hard to go back to stock ;)

I have to agree, I hope to hear some modded modules from more reputable modders before too long, but the modifications I have to mine with cap brands and such have given an excellent burst of life to the module. I did redo most of my module, but still speaking compared to stock and the almost extra dimension added to the sound from these very simple things to do.

My stock SL+ is one of my favorite modules and I will not mod it. I love my other modded modules but the SL+ is staying stock.

khingpynn said:
eyeball ... is yours the older or newer version?

Newer. Black faceplate and chickenheads anyway. I can get some component values from it if that helps.

Also, I just orded an Alesis Video Track so I plan on doing a comparison vid between the modules that I have. It's back ordered so I have no idea when that will happen though.

sure that would be helpful... thanks

I did some reading on the SL+ from past threads. One thing that stood out was a comment from dboy5150...

from the thread in "modules" titled "SL+ worth it?"

I actually prefer the pre-JCM800 module for heavy rhythm work. As noted on here by others, the JCM800 mod does give you some plexi-like tones, and the punchier mids would be better for lead, but I don't use the SL+ for lead so just depends on what you want that modern marshall tone

I'm now interested to hear the pre JCM 800 modded SL+ as I'm looking to use it for a rhythm tone.

I also have the newer SL+ & I like the 800 tone even for rhythm. My only complaint is I can't get a cleanish tone I like when rolling back the guitar volume. I can get the Plexi to do this but it doesn't have the gain I like when guitar volume is cranked. Any suggestions for mods to achieve this on the SL+?

khingpynn said:
I did some reading on the SL+ from past threads. One thing that stood out was a comment from dboy5150...

from the thread in "modules" titled "SL+ worth it?"

I actually prefer the pre-JCM800 module for heavy rhythm work. As noted on here by others, the JCM800 mod does give you some plexi-like tones, and the punchier mids would be better for lead, but I don't use the SL+ for lead so just depends on what you want that modern marshall tone

I'm now interested to hear the pre JCM 800 modded SL+ as I'm looking to use it for a rhythm tone.

I am expecting another SL+ module (hopefully this week as well). I don't remember if it was blackface, silverface, or silverface with black stripe. I have a blackface already. If it is an earlier production I will let you know my thoughts as I want to A/B them.

I've got both midrange resistor/cap combos on a front panel switch, as well as .001 and .0022 C3 caps on a second switch. Makes comparing much easier.

well the SL+ came today... got it from angra04. It's an origional version and I have to say with my initial plug in I really like this module. I'm going to mod it to the current spec next week and then decide what I like best. I also have a couple of different caps to try.
I'm feeling pretty good about this mod !

OK I got a silver face SL+ (2002) from cold Machine today. Here are my thoughts after about 30 minutes of A/B them.

Gain: Silver plate has more gain. They seem to be similar when the silver plate is set at noon & the black plate is at about 2 o'clock. This may be an illusion though (see bass notes).

Bass: Silver plate has more bass than the Black plate SL+. This seems to give it more umph than the Black plate. This may also lead to the perception of more gain in the silver plate. Although I could be wrong.

Mids: Black plate has a pronouned high mid voicing compared to the Silver plate.

Treble: No distinguishable difference.

With that being said, the brief time I had with them so far, I could not dial in the Silver plate to nail the Black plate tone. Maybe thats possible, but it will have to wait for another day to tweak & play around. I liked the Silverplate more when rolling back the volume to get a clean or cleanish tone. The Black plate just seemed to get thinner sounding than the Silver plate for this. Eventually I will play around with putting a 12AU7 in V1 of each to see what that yields.

Hamner1 said:
OK I got a silver face SL+ (2002) from cold Machine today. Here are my thoughts after about 30 minutes of A/B them.

Gain: Silver plate has more gain. They seem to be similar when the silver plate is set at noon & the black plate is at about 2 o'clock. This may be an illusion though (see bass notes).

Bass: Silver plate has more bass than the Black plate SL+. This seems to give it more umph than the Black plate. This may also lead to the perception of more gain in the silver plate. Although I could be wrong.

Mids: Black plate has a pronouned high mid voicing compared to the Silver plate.

Treble: No distinguishable difference.

With that being said, the brief time I had with them so far, I could not dial in the Silver plate to nail the Black plate tone. Maybe thats possible, but it will have to wait for another day to tweak & play around. I liked the Silverplate more when rolling back the volume to get a clean or cleanish tone. The Black plate just seemed to get thinner sounding than the Silver plate for this. Eventually I will play around with putting a 12AU7 in V1 of each to see what that yields.

That's a pretty good description. Also, you won't be able to dial them in the same. They're modeled after 2 different amps of different eras. :wink: