Best Module for cleans...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khingpynn

Reaction score
what are you guys/girls using. Have you used more than one clean module and what do you believe is the best and why?

I've had the Twin, now own Blackface and Super V.

The Super V is a great clean module but it's quite gainy therefore to get cleans the gain needs to be backed off lots. This reduces this modules overall volume... further to this I need to dial back my other modules line volume to compensate... I prefer to keep the line volumes close as possible to 10 on all modules.

I will try less gain preamp tubes tonight.

Hiya,

I have two clean modules that I have modded myself...But really, I believe that Salvation's Loneclean or Twinface gives the best cleans with tonal variety...

Having said that, KH-1 and Clean are both awesome stock modules...Better than any others including Deluxe, Blackface, etc....The KH-1 would certainly solve your volume issues as it doesn't break up much even at high volumes yet sounds awesome...Drop a 5751 into V1 and you can crank your cleans finally instead of dialing everything else back...Lastly, a little extra EQ with a Clean or KH-1 will get it to do anything you need...

Cheers,
Mattfig

I'll second the KH1. I have the Blackface, Super V, and KH1. The KH1 is my fav. It's the only one that sounds decent with my EMG loaded guitar as well. :D

i have blackface and kh-1. Kh-1 is more dry and BF is more saturated but otherwise fairly similar at low gains.

+1 on the tweed, absolutely stunning, plus it takes all my pedals with class, something none of the other clean modules i've tried does.

I like the Clean mod. Right now I am digging the Plexi with the guitar volume rolled back to clean it up.
FYI 12AU7 in V1 of both of my modules.

i agree with you on the plexi, I absolutely love an Ei 12au7 in it, with an old GE 12ax7 in V2, simply killer.

I have had an Egnater single channel DLX, Randall Blackface, and currently have a KH1. A 5751 in V1 really saves the clean modules if you want them to stay clean louder. I will say that I think I might have liked the DLX and Blackface clean tones a bit better at lower volumes but they break up way too fast. The KH1 sounds better clean at louder volumes.

My KH-1 sounds pretty rad at high volumes with my EMG's. Can get alot of different tones with that gain knob alone. Cheers, Lucius

Loneclean is the ultimate. I also use a Blackface with a 12AY7 in V1. EH just released the new production 12AY7 and i like them. About as much gain as a 12AT7 but built for tone unlike the 12AT7, which is best in reverb circuits and PI's.

Peace, Joshua

I love a good clean tone..
one that allows you to really work the guitar an hear every nuance, and its all musical.

I have Salvation Lonestar and its REALLY excellent. I have also used a blackface for cleans, and while I love the SuperVs basic tone..it really is always to much gain-crunch to be clean module.
I havent had the good luck to try a KH-1 or Salvation's Twin...but they always seem to do it for some people.

GtrGeorge

Thanks for all the feedback guys... I'm gonna look around for a KH1 in the near future... for now I'm going to keep my Blackface and try some different tubes in teh V1 socket.

Anyone here tried the Brahma for cleans?

Clean mods distorting: Another thing to try is swapping the 12AX7 in the amp/RM4 V1 with a 12AU7. I did this the other day & it really helped with the gain coming from the EMGs to the front of my RM4. I plugged the Clean mod in again to test before shipping it out. With 12AX7s in V1 & V2 of the mod it was still very clean even up to about 1:00 o'clock. This had little affect on the high gainers, I didn't need to adjust the gain on those much if at all.

does the kh1 get close to roland jc120 cleans ?

I believe I read a review in Guitar World which gave the comparrison.

If it does I need one :)

I had a brahma..and I thought it sucked for cleans.
ya know..when you talk about cleans..it occurs to me there are different kinds of cleans..for me..the best is a Blackface kind of clean. There is a meatiness to it. It may not have as much tweakableness to it as a Lone Clean..in other words the LoneClean has EQ and switches that can help you get a lot of different stuff out of it....but if the clean you liek is that Vintage Fender Clean..the Blackface does it better than the LoneClean. But if you like a clean that is more modern sounding..than the Loneclean is better.

Personally I like a few differnt kinds of cleans...I love the sound prince gets on "Kiss" for example...its a totally direct into the board clean. And I dont think ANY module can do that.
If you guys think a KH-1 can go that, let me know. Its almost STERILE!! But for some funk..its great.
Merry Ho Ho..
George