Slodano?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drewiv said:
mfshockey said:
Maybe after the holidays we can do Salvado vs SLO100 as well as Mamba vs Cobra?!?!?

We can do a lot of fun stuff. We'll have to get that practice spot for a couple extra hours next time and do some head-to-heads with a lot of gear we have. Salvado v Slodano v SLO100. Mamba v Cobra. Anyone have a JCM800 that we know?

I'm trying to push Randy to sell his Dual Recto head and get a JCM800 but I'm not sure if it will happen before then. I'll try my best though!

It would be awesome to hear the Soldano mods up against an actual Soldano, that's for sure!

I'm now finally getting around to learning how to use the Ecstasy. So we can do an Ecstasy vs XTC also. I did just recently pick up a JCM800 1x12. It's supposed to be the same amp/preamp as found in the 2203. If we run it into a 2 or 4x12, we can get a taste of the JCM800.

You guys are all from Chicago, so this is a doable thing. Cool...
You guys should get together and jam it up. I'm totally looking forward to your guys results. Sounds like a great time. :D

Daryl said:
You guys should get together and jam it up. I'm totally looking forward to your guys results. Sounds like a great time. :D

We've all gotten together once before. Trying to get it together for another run. We had intentions of doing more amp and module checking, but it just turned into a big jam session. Which was a blast. We do have every intention of getting together and getting these comparisons done. Between us all, we have a lot of neat toys. :D

I would certainly love to hear a more thorough clip of the Slodano in action :D Maybe dial it in for some thrash, dial it down for some Clapton tones, etc. :)

I've been really busy here lately..working too many hours. But, in the next week I'll try to do some sort of recording with the Slodano. Does anybody know where I can post WAV files? I'd prefer to post raw WAV files so you can load them into your own DAWs to see how it might sound in your specific system. Of course, no soundclip will ever be as good as trying an amp/module for yourself. But I'd like to at least eliminate the "prejudice" that my mixing/mastering techniques might introduce.

thinking about...I'll probably use a Zoom Q3 set a few feet in front of 2 2x12s. i'll use an a/b switch to go between the Slodano and the SLO100. i'll then post it on Youtube. it'll probably be a week before i can get around to it, but i'll let you know when it's done.

drewiv said:
Daryl said:

We've all gotten together once before. Trying to get it together for another run. We had intentions of doing more amp and module checking, but it just turned into a big jam session. Which was a blast. We do have every intention of getting together and getting these comparisons done. Between us all, we have a lot of neat toys. :D

Make sure to remember the video camera.

I really shouldn't embarrass myself this way, but what the hell, right? I had 45 min to spare today, so I threw an SM57 in front of a Soldano 4x12 with x1200 speakers. I recorded a track with the Gigmods Slodano, then recorded a track with the SLO100. I then cut up the tracks and mixed them together. On both preamps....I had the gain on 6.5 (about 1 o'clock)...everything else was at noon. This isn't the way I play them, but I left everything else flat for this quick test. I only had 45 minutes to set up, record, splice, and set-up a a soundclick account so I could post the track there.

THIS IS BY NO MEANS a good representation of what either of these preamps sounds like live or under better recording conditions...I didn't play with mic placement, effects or anything else. I had only 45 minutes (and I don't normally record live). BUT, I think you can get the idea about how much Pete's mod sounds like the real thing. The changes in tone and volume were from my guitar...nothing else. Both preamps were set for a lot of overdrive. Any clean tones were from rolling the guitar volume down or altering pick attack.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1130750

Jerome Allen said:
I really shouldn't embarrass myself this way, but what the hell, right? I had 45 min to spare today, so I threw an SM57 in front of a Soldano 4x12 with x1200 speakers. I recorded a track with the Gigmods Slodano, then recorded a track with the SLO100. I then cut up the tracks and mixed them together. On both preamps....I had the gain on 6.5 (about 1 o'clock)...everything else was at noon. This isn't the way I play them, but I left everything else flat for this quick test. I only had 45 minutes to set up, record, splice, and set-up a a soundclick account so I could post the track there.

THIS IS BY NO MEANS a good representation of what either of these preamps sounds like live or under better recording conditions...I didn't play with mic placement, effects or anything else. I had only 45 minutes (and I don't normally record live). BUT, I think you can get the idea about how much Pete's mod sounds like the real thing. The changes in tone and volume were from my guitar...nothing else. Both preamps were set for a lot of overdrive. Any clean tones were from rolling the guitar volume down or altering pick attack.

Sounds great man...clean parts were a little too quiet though...

Whichever amp was on the second track sounded a lot brighter and maybe a bit more alive than the first...perhaps the first one needs a tube change or summat.....or it's just that way in the relative EQ positions?

ok...another minute to spare.

Again, this clip does not even come close to what these amps sound like live. If you've ever heard an SLO100, then you know what it does actually sound like. So, don't let the 1/2-assed recording give you the wrong impression. The only point of this recording was to demonstrate how similar in tone the amps are and how they react to pick attack and volume changes in a very similar manner.

I set both amps to high-gain. Any cleans you hear are simply how both amps react to pick attack and guitar volume changes. I did not make any attempt to make the amps sound the same, tone-wise. I didn't even try to match overall volume levels...just set eveything to noon (the Slodano was in an RM100 w/JJ 6l6s).

I really hope to get a little time in the not-too-distant future to make a better (a descent) recording. But things have just been crazy busy for me.

Sounded pretty good. The playing wasn't bad either.
Unless you told me I would be guessing at which one was the model & which was the real SLO.

Just for fun, I did another quick clip with the Slodano module before bed. I ran the line out (slave out) of an RM100 and used a couple of impulses on the line signal. I'm still sorting through the thousands of impulses I have. And I haven't really found the combination that "hits" me...I'm not getting that "sparkle" and depth that the Slodano module and SLO100 head have. Until I figure it out...here's something to help pass the time...

Nice :D I can hear what you mean though with the "sparkle" in the impulse track. There's just something about those SLO highs :D

As for the comparison track... I would guess the first clip is the RM100? I'm guessing as such only because you said you had it loaded with JJ's, which I associate with darkness.

Yeah, on the back-to-back track, the RM100 is the first one. The easy way to know when it's the SLO100 is that you'll hear more background noise, or hiss. I left the eq flat on both preamps for the test. But my preferences when using them are :

SLO100 : boost lows, flat mids, cut highs.
Slodano : Boost highs and lows, leave the mids flat.

Eventually, I'd like to start playing and recording regularly again (honestly, right now my chops are the worst they've been since I was 15 y.o., and that was a long time ago). And I'm sure that Pete's Slodano mod will be getting a lot more use when I do get things rolling again.

Of course, I have to work with these cab/speaker impulses more so that I can better translate the live sound of these amps...eventually.

Something with those impulses just doesn't work for me compared to the other clip. I guess you guys are refering to it as "sparkle". Again it isn't horrible tone, just kind of not what it could be. Kind of like what many have explained the modded modules as (original = not bad, but the modded just puts it over the top).

Hamner1, I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, any recording I do will have to be done direct. I don't have a good live room nor a set of descent mics...yet. The cab impulses are far, far better than most old speaker sims I've used in the past. But I still need to sort through all of them to find which combination sounds most "alive." I'm sure it will take some time to find the right combination. But I'm sure the results will be far better than my old method of double-tracking with a Rocktron VooduValve and a POD PRO.

I know what you mean about recording. It is a pain. Your live rig sounds awesome, then it goes to recording & it's just not right. Now you have to tweak. Good luck with the cab impulse search/test. I hope it works out for you.

Again that Slodano sounds **** good.

Jerome Allen said:
Hamner1, I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, any recording I do will have to be done direct. I don't have a good live room nor a set of descent mics...yet. The cab impulses are far, far better than most old speaker sims I've used in the past. But I still need to sort through all of them to find which combination sounds most "alive." I'm sure it will take some time to find the right combination. But I'm sure the results will be far better than my old method of double-tracking with a Rocktron VooduValve and a POD PRO.

If you don't already have these I bet you'll find something you like in this pack. http://guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2850. I have tons of IRs, even paid for some and I keep going back to this pack.

You'll have to register to download. The attachment is at the bottom of the first post.