mic eliminator ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squearls

Reaction score
hey, will someone explain to me the mic elimantor process and how to use. please help

don't use it, they're nasty.

What are you trying to acheive? i.e. silent practising, silent recording, better sound during live shows?

Hi Again,

Sorry if I put you off with my statement about the mic eliminators I did not mean to be rude about them so much as abrupt, but they really are not very nice.

For recording, the best thing to do would be to buy something like a red-box or Behringer Ultra-G, download Voxengo Boogex (its free) and get the randall cab impulses (which I can send if you need), run the amp's speaker out into the Ultra-G into a mixing desk/preamp interface into your PC, and apply the cabinet emulation (make sure that cab emulations amp settings are all dialed at 0% otherwise you'll encounter some 'interesting' distortion

For live without mic'ing, you're better off doing a similar thing with the Ultra-G or Red box into the mixing desk and then use the desk's own EQ

For practising with the head without a cab (assuming you are using the mix eliminator from one of the XL series heads, not the cabinet), Do the same as recording but instead of running Voxengo Boogex in a DAW such as protools, cubase or tracktion, run it on a free VST host (I can again send you one of these) and you can play through your PC speakers/headphones to your hearts content with a relatively accurate cabinet emulation...

If you're trying to mic and DI the rig at the same time, again get a red box or Ultra-G, run into that into your desk for 1 channel getting the DI and then mic the cab as you want and run that into the second channel, try and EQ out some of the low and mids of the DI channel to get a more balanced sound although thats really just a personal taste thing. You could also run the DI channel from the FX send or the slave out although I am not sure of the implications of using the slave out into a mic or line level input as the slave out could be a Hi-Z output.

Alternatively, if you don't have a PC and want to do any of the PC related things, buy a POD or the like, run the red box/Ultra-G into the POD and use its cab emulation with the amp modelling turned off.

Without knowing exactly what you want to do with the mic-eliminator its hard to advise exactly what you want to do, but this is a very good starting point

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Dan

note: when referring to the Behringer Ultra-G 100 make sure it's cab emulation is off as its also not very nice (a different kind though, really harsh cheap sounding)

hi,

Im gathering some knowledge stuff about those diboxes and recording without cab.

So if I want to record to PC, the whole chain will look like this:

V2 speaker out -> GI100 -> mixing desk? I plan to use some external sound card, like m-audio fast track or something like that, would it be ok?

Another thing, when I go from GI100 back to my cab, the cab will be silent even if I turn off cab simulation on GI100 ? I would want to use cab imulses via DAW

So the GI100 has it's own dummy load or what?

Yo,

Good call!

You run from

V2 Speaker out -> GI100 (with both 20dB pads turned on, cab emulation off!) -> Mixing Desk? -> VST Host/DAW(Voxengo Boogex)

Mixing Desk?
Basically anything that will take a mic level input that you can control the preamp gain, the fast track is the right sort of direction although there are some serious driver issues (or there were with my one), have a bit of a shop around. I would say you ideally want something that has a good reputation for its AD converters and preamps. If you could stretch to it, check out the Apogee Duet, the quality you will get will be yummy!

Dummy load
With regards to the GI100 and a cab, it won't mute the cab, you just dont plug it in to a cab. There is no dummy load, however because the V2/T2 effectively have solid state poweramps, running in short circuit doesn't really cause any problems. If you still aren't sure about doing that though and are savvy with electronics you easily make a dummy load with a bit of googling

Hope that clears everything up!

Dan

El_Thwatez said:
Hi Again,

Sorry if I put you off with my statement about the mic eliminators I did not mean to be rude about them so much as abrupt, but they really are not very nice.

For recording, the best thing to do would be to buy something like a red-box or Behringer Ultra-G, download Voxengo Boogex (its free) and get the randall cab impulses (which I can send if you need), run the amp's speaker out into the Ultra-G into a mixing desk/preamp interface into your PC, and apply the cabinet emulation (make sure that cab emulations amp settings are all dialed at 0% otherwise you'll encounter some 'interesting' distortion

For live without mic'ing, you're better off doing a similar thing with the Ultra-G or Red box into the mixing desk and then use the desk's own EQ

For practising with the head without a cab (assuming you are using the mix eliminator from one of the XL series heads, not the cabinet), Do the same as recording but instead of running Voxengo Boogex in a DAW such as protools, cubase or tracktion, run it on a free VST host (I can again send you one of these) and you can play through your PC speakers/headphones to your hearts content with a relatively accurate cabinet emulation...

If you're trying to mic and DI the rig at the same time, again get a red box or Ultra-G, run into that into your desk for 1 channel getting the DI and then mic the cab as you want and run that into the second channel, try and EQ out some of the low and mids of the DI channel to get a more balanced sound although thats really just a personal taste thing. You could also run the DI channel from the FX send or the slave out although I am not sure of the implications of using the slave out into a mic or line level input as the slave out could be a Hi-Z output.

Alternatively, if you don't have a PC and want to do any of the PC related things, buy a POD or the like, run the red box/Ultra-G into the POD and use its cab emulation with the amp modelling turned off.

Without knowing exactly what you want to do with the mic-eliminator its hard to advise exactly what you want to do, but this is a very good starting point

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Dan

note: when referring to the Behringer Ultra-G 100 make sure it's cab emulation is off as its also not very nice (a different kind though, really harsh cheap sounding)

Hey Thanks for the information........Quite knowledgeable..

Jak