SL+ Mod discussion ( origional pre later 08 version )

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey gents, I just purchased a RAndall Lynch Box with stock clean - brahma, and SL+. Right now for me, Brahma with the bright engaged is the way to go. Pushed with my modded DOD 308 and it is even killer. I find the SL+ to have a tad too much fat fuzzy gain past 12'. I was checking out some of the posted "gain" mods on the reference pages and I see that a common gain or bass reduction mod is to swap that initial cap (C3 i think it is labelled) to a lower value like .022 (which seems more in line with what you'd see in a JMP or 800). Does this make that much of a difference "tightness" wise to your ears? I'm also thinking of doing the 800 mod to bring out more of the mids as I find the SL+ sits back a little too much and could use a bit more raw voicing. Seems to me they were trying to extend this into the darker heavier rythms for folks looking beyond hot rodded MArshalls. Probably a way to make everyone happy..

Mine is the black plate SL+ by the way.. not sure if this means that it already has the 800 mod in it? I'll have to pull it out and check that later..

Amendment.. it would appear I already have the .001 uf cap on my board at C3. Still sounds pretty **** bass heavy if you ask me! Playing it with a JB and that is a tight pickup.. maybe it just isn't a module for me.

You are correct in that the Black plate SL+ has the 800 mod stock. I'm sure someone will chime in that if you think it still has too much bass then you could mod it to zap some of that bass. It seems to me to be spot on. I don't think it has too much bass, but then again different guitars, pickups, & cabs could account for that. For me the Silver plate SL+ is definately bass heavy, especially compared to the Blackplate SL+.

I have a Gigmods SL+ that began life as a silver face module. It has a mini toggle switch for "JCM 800" mode and a three way mini toggle for LOWS cut. It's one of my favorite modules.

If your silverfaces have too much gain, check to make sure the R1, R2, and R3 are the correct value (found on the Grailtone site). Also, these resistors (as well as a few others) should be Metal Film to lower noise and add clarity.

khingpynn said:
Hammer1... nice A/B comparrison.

Thank you. I'm glad it was useful. Sometimes I think comparing modules (or amps) head to head may be better than trying to describe the modules attributes themselves. It gives a reference point for someone who has another module & based on what they are getting from that modulethey get a better idea if it is potentially for them.

To follow up with SacredGroove's comment... you cannot dial in the silverplate to nail the blackplate/800 mod SL+ (& vice versa). I tried, it isn't happening.

Shinozoku said:
Hamner: Does your Silverface have the upgraded resistors? Or the old ones?

I believe the old ones. It was stock from 2002. It has been sold to eventually fund a Judge module. Now if the 1086 would get sold as well.

Trimix,

I have a stock SL+ with the JCM mod and the .001 cap at C3. I want a fuller bass response more like the Plexi module, but I don't want to end up with too much mud or a farty speaker. I am trying to decide whether to move up to a .0015 or .0022 cap at C3. When you switch over to the .022 cap, does it get too muddy or cause your speakers to fart out under high gain with the bass cranked up?

Ricey said:
Trimix,

I have a stock SL+ with the JCM mod and the .001 cap at C3. I want a fuller bass response more like the Plexi module, but I don't want to end up with too much mud or a farty speaker. I am trying to decide whether to move up to a .0015 or .0022 cap at C3. When you switch over to the .022 cap, does it get too muddy or cause your speakers to fart out under high gain with the bass cranked up?
.0022 is fine with the module. I personally didn't like it. I think it softened the lows more than anything. I have a 1000pf Silver Mica in that position. I wanna try the .047uF in the bass tone cap though...

Wouldn't .0047 in the SL+ be even looser and muddier than the .0022?

Oh yeah...gotcha! Does Egnater make a version of the SL+? If so, what value does he use at C3?

To the above.. Yes, I'm referring to the cap connected to the bass pot in the tone stack. Increasing the value to .047uF will extend the bass pot's frequency response while beefing up the sound. It's a common mod done to JCM800's for people who want more lows and a beefier sound out of their 800s. Usually combined with some high gain additions that the SL+ does NOT need.

I'll do that once I repair the module though, if it is indeed repairable xD

well I'm modding my SL+ today... been way too busy at work and starting a new band to get much else done... however today is the day.

I picked up a few different makes and models and a couple of different value capaciter as i would like to see what difference there is.

today I will be changing out R25 to a 33K

C14 to a 470pf

C3 to a .0015

I got this new capaciter that is housed in a clear plastic barrel. inside the metal can ot's natural silver color. I heard good things and decided I would try this before the Orange Drop, Mustard, etc...

Anyone else tried this or similar capacitor. Sorry cannot remember the manufacturer for the life of me... but it's going in today :)

I'm off to do some mods.

Cheers

that went well... I put in the clear plastic barrel cap and noticrd that C14 was allready a 471 pf so I left that in there.

Just gave it a test run for 20 minutes or so. Now thats the tone I'm looking for. Just nils that 80's lead tone real well. I've owned two JCM 800 over the years. This mod sounds closest to the 1983 JCM 4104 I owned rather than the 1982 JCM 800 2203. But maybe thats the EL34 voice.

I'm gonna keep this mod for awhile and then try some of the other brands and values of caps I bought.

Cheers

Here is a photo of the mod completed. Did some research on the "silver bullet" capacitor. It's a Styroflex Polystyrene capacitor. The Black ring denotes 630volt.

There were only a few left at my supplier so I bought them all... glad I did.

I had the orange drop in and decided I liked the Styroflex more.

One other thing I meant to mention was that this PCB was the earlier rev as it had R31 as opposed to the later having R25.

IMG_5136.jpg