Question about my Randall RG80ES

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newcomer on this forum. 8)

So, I shall start my first post about my Randall RG80ES.

I have 2 questions about them:
1) Aren't they suppose to have a white control panel? Mine is black.
2) I don't have the treble-pull-sustain-boost thingy, but a switch next to the treble pot.

Are these normal for an RG80ES?
PS: Heres some photos to show what I'm talking about, and to show the model number and such.

P31232807.jpg

P31232738.jpg

PPS: I bought it from Musicgoround for $80 without shipping.

NeedsMoreBlueBell said:
2) I don't have the treble-pull-sustain-boost thingy, but a switch next to the treble pot.

Hey, gratz on your new.. well, old Randall! :D

80$ is an amazing steal! More like a Krystal Steal.. 8)

Your amp is not a standard RG80ES head.
Although labeled "ES", it's an "XP" variant of the amp;
the engineers at Randall had solved the drastic Volume Drop issue the RG-ES's had with the "Sustain Boost" option activated, when the Treble knob was pulled.

They came up with the XP-3 (click for photo), an external Volume boost box to be linked between the amp & speaker cabinet to recover the lost headroom while the Treble knob was pulled. They practically applied the circuitry in that box internally to the ES models, removed the Treble Push/Pull and placed a Button switch instead.. along with a light gray / black panel color transaction.

These'd be the RG80XP.. just like you've got. :wink:

Owner said:
NeedsMoreBlueBell said:

Hey, gratz on your new.. well, old Randall! :D

80$ is an amazing steal! More like a Krystal Steal.. 8)

Your amp is not a standard RG80ES head.
Although labeled "ES", it's an "XP" variant of the amp;
the engineers at Randall had solved the drastic Volume Drop issue the RG-ES's had with the "Sustain Boost" option activated, when the Treble knob was pulled.

They came up with the XP-3 (click for photo), an external Volume boost box to be linked between the amp & speaker cabinet to recover the lost headroom while the Treble knob was pulled. They practically applied the circuitry in that box internally to the ES models, removed the Treble Push/Pull and placed a Button switch instead.. along with a light gray / black panel color transaction.

These'd be the RG80XP.. just like you've got. :wink:

Aaah, I had a feeling it was that. Was it suppose to stop the volume drop completely or remove some of it? Because I still have some of the volume drop whenever I activate the sustain boost, and ususally the volume increases or decreases while in use.

*Edit* And oh hey! I remember seeing your youtube account when I was first discovering Randall amps. One of your videos was why I almost bought a Randall RX120! :p

But then I discovered the magic of the Randall RG series.

*Edit once more* Also, what cab would you recommend for it? I have a 1x12 with one of the modern Randall Jaguar speakers right now, and looking to either get a 2x12 or 4x12. Which would work best: The RX412, R212CX, or just go the Crowbar route and either a used Rectifier 2x12 or 4x12?

I concur....When I push the sustain booster switch on my RG100ES XP, the volume drops by at least 20%. It has always done that.