Pete Brown mod with .0047 cap at C3?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricey

Reaction score
I won a modded Brown Module in an EBay auction. The guy said that it was a Pete mod, except that he went back to a .0047 cap at C3 because he preferred a fuller bass response. I am wondering if I should switch back to the .0022 cap? I run a graphic EQ in the effects loop of my amp and I do have the bass slider set for a small boost. The module sounds great, but if I turn the bass all the way up with the gain maxed, the stock Celestions in my RM-100 start to fart out a little. I also have Plexi, SL+, and Ultra XL modules and I can turn the bass knob all the way up on those modules and also boost the bass on the graphic EQ under high gain conditions without this "farting out". My solution for the Brown is that I have to keep both the gain and bass down to 3:00 or lower or not use the EQ boost. I am assuming the .0022 cap would help with the farting out, but how would it effect my tone otherwise? I do prefer a full bass response.

I put a smaller bass cap there on my brown mods for two reasons:

1) less 'fart out'
2) Ever listen to Van Halen I or II? Not a lot of low end on those tones...

Pete

Ricey said:
I won a modded Brown Module in an EBay auction. The guy said that it was a Pete mod, except that he went back to a .0047 cap at C3 because he preferred a fuller bass response. I am wondering if I should switch back to the .0022 cap? I run a graphic EQ in the effects loop of my amp and I do have the bass slider set for a small boost. The module sounds great, but if I turn the bass all the way up with the gain maxed, the stock Celestions in my RM-100 start to fart out a little. I also have Plexi, SL+, and Ultra XL modules and I can turn the bass knob all the way up on those modules and also boost the bas on the graphic EQ under high gain conditions without this "farting out". My solution for the Brown is that I have to keep both the gain and bass down to 3:00 or lower or not use the EQ boost. I am assuming the .0022 cap would help with the farting out, but how would it effect my tone otherwise? I do prefer a full bass response.

Yep...You'll get a tighter response from the 22...Less bass, more focused...It will likely be a significant improvement especially if you have too much bass on it now anyway...You could even drop a 11 in there for ultimate tightness... :)

Thanks, that's what I thought! I'll have it converted to the .0022. I wonder why did Randall put the .0047 in there in the first place?