Back to MTS...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimosity

Reaction score
So, Over the last year or two, I've strayed away from my MTS/Egnater gear...
I was playing a lot of gigs and carrying around two loaded M4's and a VHT 2/90/2 was KILLING my back.
I switched to an AxeFX and a Peavey IPR1600.
Super light weight and the tones are there to be had...but it just lacks that something. Yeah, I can put the AxeFX with my VHT and get closer, but then we're talking weight again...

I bought a Bogner Ecstasy Classic cause I always wanted one.
The clean and Blue channel are to die for. The Red Channel is close, but I just can't get enough saturation out of it for my needs...Yeah, I could put a pedal in front and get there, but I *HATE* that I have to have a pedal in front to get there if you know what I mean.

Over the last half dozen shows or so, I've been tweaking and tweaking my AxeFX and I just can't seem to get exactly what I want tonally.
I've resigned myself to the fact that I am just going to have to suck it up and deal with the weight of a heavy rack or suffer the effect of lesser tone on my playing since my playing is better when my tone is better.

Last weekend I pulled out one of my M4's hooked it up and that was exactly what I had been missing. Incredible tone with almost no effort to get there. The feel, the saturation. I think my AxeFX is gonna make it's way to Effects Only and back to Randall/Egnater I go.

Right now, my SL+ is really making me love it...
I think 'The Judge' may have to make it's way to my house here very soon as well....

So, back to the Modular family I go.

Welcome back...However, if you left once you are deemed a "flight risk." Therefore it is my opportunity to inform you that modded modules may just seal the MTS deal for you...If an SL+ can pump you up (it is a great module), wait 'til you hear a Mashall+ or something from other modders...

In fact, now that I think about it, you should check out my Chemtrail Angel in the classifieds... :wink: You'll never leave again!

In all seriousness, it's nice to see another Axe-FX user come back to true tubes...Axe is awesome as I've been toying with one myself...But, like you pointed out, it just misses something that MTS provides immediately and with little effort...

I was expecting to see something like this from you, Fig.
19.jpg

Anyway, welcome back to the gear. I find it awesome and hope I never find myself wanting to move one.

flight risk huh?
haha
Does it help if I've never sold any of my Randall modules (I have 'em all since the beginning, plus several Egnater modules, two M4's an RM100...just don't have The Judge or any of the modded units.)

That Salvation Soldano module has had my interest since it was first posted though.

As for modded modules sealing the deal...I build effects pedals (r3fx.com) and modding modules is something I'll probably end up getting around to...time has not been on my side.

"my playing is better when my tone is better. "
How True, for me as well.
Its like trying to hammer in a nail with a butter knife..its not easy and it doesnt turn out well.
I have a super light rig, and then my REAL rig. I have mixed emotions with Bruce Egnater apparently loking to outsource production ...and The new owners of Randall not supprting the MTS series much...
but just like Fender being bought by CBS....its probably only temporary and in the end, a great Fender is a great fender....know what I mean?
I think its due to economy and the monopoly that is BIG-Box music stores...a boutique amp like the MTS is defintly getting a hard time.
I think once the economy comes back...I hope that MTS gets renewed...
I think if Randall puts out that 50 watt 3 module combo with 1 12", that has a usable loop and is fairly lightweight (go neo!!!)..
..once that comes out its HISTORY to all other manufactors of boutique amps.
GtrGeorge

Jim--

Welcome back!

So I assume that's your XTC up on craigslist? ;)

FWIW, I'd been away from modular for about 2 years (first on a Mesa kick, then on an Axe-FX kick) and recently came back myself. Went from having no modular gear to a MOD100, an RM22, and 15 modules in a matter of weeks. (And I still have a fair amount of other "Egnater-ish" gear... an amp seminar JTM45, a Rocktron Vendetta, and a Tweaker on the way)

--B

bduersch said:
Jim--

Welcome back!

So I assume that's your XTC up on craigslist? ;)

FWIW, I'd been away from modular for about 2 years (first on a Mesa kick, then on an Axe-FX kick) and recently came back myself. Went from having no modular gear to a MOD100, an RM22, and 15 modules in a matter of weeks. (And I still have a fair amount of other "Egnater-ish" gear... an amp seminar JTM45, a Rocktron Vendetta, and a Tweaker on the way)

--B

Hey Brent,
Yeah, the XTC on CL is mine. Not really pushing too hard to sell it, if I do, cool - if not, cool.
I just hate seeing it sitting there for months on end without being turned on... I have so much gear and so little free time to sit and play; I figure it's about time I start scaling back to what I actually use.

Right now, I've got several rigs that I'm alternating thru.

Current Live Rack : M4 -> GMajor2 -> Mesa 50/50
Home Rack : M4 -> AxeFX -> VHT 2/90/2
Practice Rig : Line6 HD500 -> EHX 44 Magnum

Once I get my AxeFX better configured for effects only, it'll be my live rig I think. The effects in that guy are awesome.

I have an insane amount of other gear that you'll be seeing on CL here soon as well.

Have you tried any of the Jet City stuff? The HDM100 has my interest from a tube head/not too expensive/soldanoish tone point of view.

If you get around to it Brent, check out my 80's hair cover band....
Devils Due - http://www.devilsduecincy.com

:)
We play out around your area quite a bit.
Fun times.

I'll have to give that a listen one day. I like the graphics on the merchandise. I think it captures the mindset of the era.

jimosity said:

Fun times.

Welcome back, Jim. remember all the great sound demos you did for the modules back in the day? Man, I feel like an ol' timer :roll:
Wish i knew you were in Ohio, I was there last year to catch Neil Zaza's Christmas concert.
The MTS definitely holds up tonewise, but I have had some reliability issues with it. With absolutely the crappiest customer support that I ever deal with. They simply are not standing behind this line anymore.
I was at last year's NAMM and the Randall guys are great, but it's not them that's the problem.

The place isn't the same with Jim! That clip page you created was a huge resource for me when I first started out, mucho appreciation

count me in as another Axe user who has switched back to Egnater.
Something about Axe Fxs amps that i just cant around. Also the fact that
your forever tweaking tweaking . The Axe has great effects and cab sims but the m4 just puts a smile back on my face. The bassman and EG5 are fat ,musical and immediate.

Count me in as somebody who was ready to bite the bullet for an axe fx, and concluded after firing up the rack for the first time in a year: "Why would I want to give up something that sounds so good????"

The new mods from Pete ans Salvation don't help giving up that stuff either! I nearly wept with joy when I heard the MarsUS demo! :D

jimosity said:

Fun times.
Awesomeness!!
Pretty good tones on those clips too.
You should definitly get a Salvado ;) it rocks for those tones!

Glad you're back in the MTS family :D

I won't tell you that one of those tracks was a Pod X3 and the other was the AxeFX....

My MHG is at Salvation for the Salvado De Luxe mod right now!
Can't wait to hear it!

jimosity said:
I won't tell you that one of those tracks was a Pod X3 and the other was the AxeFX....

My MHG is at Salvation for the Salvado De Luxe mod right now!
Can't wait to hear it!
I knew you were going to say that ;)
It was just aside from MTS, I love that music, and those type of tones.

Which is why I know you are going to freak when you start rocking the Salvado ;)
I did.. I needed 2 changes of pants when I first got it :shock:

Maybe I'm hyping it too much :lol: but that mod definitly rocks for that 80s vibe!
when you get it, I advise trying out Dr. Feelgood on it ^^