MTS combo amps

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Langseth

Reaction score
Hello fellows. I am new to the forum and looking to jump into the MTS series. I had looked pretty close a couple of years ago and didn't do anything but am now back. I am trying to decide between the RM 50 and RM 20 and wanted some input from forum members. Looks like the RM 20 would be easy to move around but it looks like you can buy the 50 for about the same money (or close) on the used market. Really looking for some direction. There are a couple of RM 20s on Ebay right now. Thanks..

Mark

I've seen rm20s go as low as 280-300, whereas rm50 bottom out at 380-400

Apples and Oranges....

rm20
+great for low volume
+very light/portable
+Boost feature not available on any other mts- super cool for solos/studio work
+direct silent output option will allow recording with headphones/IRs
-not quite enough volume for a live band (others willl disagree). The boost will get you there, but that's not a rhythm tone for me
-not as Big & Punchy as an amp with 6l6s or other big tubes
-only 1 module capacity at a time may get tiresome once a collection is acquired

rm50
+Loud enough for ANY situation
+relatively light for a Loud amp
+handles 2 modules
+nice pan reverb
+volume boost feature (unavailable on other mts)
+can handle pretty much any Power tube you need
-volume boost will blow your head off if not set properly
-verb loop needs an on/off feature- there's a guy here who can help you with that, ak from Tenn

In general, the mts modules- especially the modded- sound decent at low volumes. For reference, I had Marshalls & a Mesa that sounded dreadful quiet; once loud they were inspiring though.

However, if you value low volume playing, the rm20/22 is the way to go

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply. That is sort of the way I was leaning from what I have read. Most of my playing would be low volume (bedroom/music room stuff) but I like the idea of having more than one module in the amp. Thanks again.

Mark

Maybe you can find a rm22 at a decent price?
FYI, nmy comments were based off the heads, never played an mts combo

Cranky Ray has got it right..and I do own an Rm50 combo.
so belive him onevery account except..the rm50 is not a light amp. It weghs about the same as a 100 watt amp. But all else is very correct.
GtrGeorge

there is one thing to add, the 50 combo sounds very large and spacious. The cab area is large and it sounds like it. I can't comment on the 20 or 22 watt, but the 50 watt does do low volume well. I can get preamp or power amp dist. or headroom thanks to the module and master controls. I would have to say if you want clean big sounds go the 50, tight distortion the smaller would be great.

Wow. Thanks for all the response. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but am certainly leaning toward the 50 combo if I can find one at a decent price. I appreciate the input.

Mark

If you don't mind the extra weight, i would go for the rM50. I got one for 3 years now and it's a great amp. I can use it just for small rehearsals and small gigs, 2 modules are plenty for this.
And yes, i used it alone with an all out loud stage, it can get pretty **** loud if necessary. Ideally, I like to run it with my RM100 half stack when possible. At home i always got both amps running at the same time, great variety tone mixing.

yep,RM50 for me as well,if you need to you can run it through a 4x12 live and it has more than enough power,but still has the portablility..

I wont rest until there is a 3 module combo from Randall.
And it should have a usable fx loop.
GtrGeorge

If you want to play in a band, the RM20combo won't cut it by itself..You'd at least need a 4/12 or 2/12 cab for it..The RM50's are just great for anything!!! I like them so much I have a head and a combo

Since talking weight, how much does an rm50 combo weigh? I just sold my old Mark IV combo and it weighed 70lbs. With the flight case, UPS said it weighed 103lbs! For a 112!

Hopefully an rm50 is a little bit lighter... :shock:

Thanks. I just checked UPS and the whole shipment is 65lbs. Much better than a Boogie...