Mods for Low Tuning

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be reviving an old thread, but I have experienced good results with my stock Ultra module with the Presence at 2 o'clock and density at 10 o'clock. The density control can mud up a module if you're not careful.

Good info. I just picked up my first RM100 recently in that quest for a particular tone in lieu of having thousands to spend on multiple heads.

I keep a couple guitars tuned to drop C, and was wondering if anyone has a module recommendation...preferably a recommendation on stock and a recommendation on a modded unit. I like the sounds Hinds gets with Mastadon from his JCM800 (assume it's modded), but also like some of the newer metalcore sounds coming from bands like Bring Me the Horizon and August Burns Red (and older 90's stuff like Barkmarket). Obviously I don't want those exact sounds, but gives you an idea of where my head is at.

Any suggestions?

I think tuning to D is low tuning. E flat is as low as I go. On occassion I will drop the low E string to D (or D flat), but that is rare. I can't imagine tuning to C or C# or lower. Again the bass has to sit somewhere in the mix.

esoteric383 said:
Good info. I just picked up my first RM100 recently in that quest for a particular tone in lieu of having thousands to spend on multiple heads.

I keep a couple guitars tuned to drop C, and was wondering if anyone has a module recommendation...preferably a recommendation on stock and a recommendation on a modded unit. I like the sounds Hinds gets with Mastadon from his JCM800 (assume it's modded), but also like some of the newer metalcore sounds coming from bands like Bring Me the Horizon and August Burns Red (and older 90's stuff like Barkmarket). Obviously I don't want those exact sounds, but gives you an idea of where my head is at.

Any suggestions?

Others have said the 1086/Plexi Plus for stock modules. The 1087 is another, which is a mod by okstrat (Pete).

Hamner1 said:
I think tuning to D is low tuning. E flat is as low as I go. On occassion I will drop the low E string to D (or D flat), but that is rare. I can't imagine tuning to C or C# or lower. Again the bass has to sit somewhere in the mix.
lol, Dflat= C#

Hamner1 said:

In the 80s-early 90s I tuned to E flat. Since playing in heavier bands I've tuned to C# since the mid 90s and about a year ago I dropped it to C. I love it.

crankyrayhanky said:
Hamner1 said:
lol, Dflat= C#

:lol: :lol:
Yeah I know. I think my description is mucked up. I assumed and meant, when people say they are tuning to C or C#, they are also droping the other strings a whole 1-1/2 - 2 steps as well, not just the low E.

I swear I read somewhere that some people are tuning down to B or even A. I just have visions of a worbly mess with that. :lol:

chop883 said:
Speaking of Low Tunings - I just picked up the new Creed CD. Tremonti is tuned down to probably C# or lower on alot of the tracks, enough to really notice he is tuned down pretty deep. It took me a while to get used to. Anyway, I think that this album is a good example of low tunings done right. I know he is pretty well known for using a Triple Recto (my fav too!) but this sounds like a different amp to me. It has a Bogner sound to it. Strong midrange that carries the bass and treb frequencies nicely and keeps a good balance. It does not have that quirky Mesa sound to it, but it does have a distinct midrange presence that I groove on. Like I said, it sounds like a Bogner, but with a much lower tuning than you normally hear out of people that play Bogners. Pretty cool. Maybe an Engl?

He uses a Bogner Uberschall along with his Triple Rec for his main rhythm tones and normally a boutique head of some sort for the leads (it was a bogner shiva for a time with alter bridge but I think it has changed now). I read an article that on the CD they also used a diezel on some of the really low tuned stuff and had a fender supersonic or something in the mix too.

Sorry im a bit of a fanboy :oops:

And if you guys in america haven't yet checked out Alter Bridge yet, do it they are awesome.