Mr Scary review

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hello,

I received Scooter's Mr Scary two days ago. Perfect condition as stated by the man.

I was really eager to hear if it could emulate this 80's hot rodded marshall vibe and how it would compete with my ADA 3TM as it really chines in this area.

After playing both last afternoon I am really happy with this module altough a direct comparison with the 3TM is a bit out of line.

I think Mr Scary works great as a boosted plexi. There isn't an insane amont of gain, but no less that on Lynch's recordings from the mid 80's. It was all about a big warm crunch rather than full on distorsion.

MR Scary works fine as a plexi with more gain and it react great to the guitar volume variation. The 3TM has an insane amont of gain. Think JCM800 with a massive clean boost in front. There's definitely some Zack Wylde there. I tried to boost the scary with a maxon OD-9 but was not happy with the results. It seemed that the sound lost some fatness in the process.

So altough MR Scary is not going push the 3TM out of my rack, it is a great complement. It can definitely emulate marshall tones from the 70's up to the early 80's. For massive gain tought, look elsewhere.

Latest posts