BEST EVER 1 X 12 Cabinet?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Mile Stone

Reaction score
What's you opinion here. I'd like to pick up a 1 X 12 cab for light weight gigging and practice. But I want as much of that deep down low end thump as possible. I would buy anything but prefer to keep it relatively inexpensive. It is just for throw down anyway.

Ones I have used and liked:

Mesa/Boogie Thiele ported mini 1 X 12 cab. Sounded great with a CL-80 in it.

Ones I'm curious about:

Avatar? Mojo Tone? Mesa/Boogie oversized ported open back? Marshall?

I've tried the Mesa 3/4 back wide body 1X12 and didn't like it at all. Sounded thin. But in reality, I've never found a 1X12 that sounded full. In my opinion, you need a 2x12 at least.

If size is an issue, look for an older Zinky 2x12. They're almost as small as a 1x12, but sound great. I miss mine.

Tommy,

I have a couple of Basson 1x12's closed back, sealed. These things are very tight low end, clean, built very well, 8 ohm , Eminence speaker. Great cab.

Howard

BTW-

Here's the link to the reviews on th Basson cab:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Basson+Sound/112+Cabinet/10/1

Howard

Thanks dudes, hey don't I know you guys from somewhere? :wink:

Ya, it's not so much size being the issue as weight and portability. My 47 year old, done had surgery once, back is needing a break sometimes so this would be a practice, throw it in the car kinda deal.

I'd settle for something with decent low end and just load it with something like a swamp thang or a tone tubby for more thunk.

I've always dug the Mesa Thiele cab... never tried it with a CL80 or MC90, but liked the EV12 (200w) option. Probably about as heavy as a 2x12, but smaller. :) If you're interested in something that breaks up, forget about it, but if you're looking for pristine cleans and excellent projection, it's a good option.

--B