VHT 2/50/2 VS Randall RT2/50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anybody been able to compare both amps?

I am currently playing a marshall 9100 but want to get away from 5881s.

What I like about the RTS2/50 is the fact that it allows to switch between an EL34 output and a 6L6 output. I guess you need to have two cabs or at least a stereo cab.

The VHT has got some great reviews and a voicing switch that allows to go from a vintage to a more modern sound. It should be possible to set one channel with 6L6 and the other with EL34 (I use a GCX switcher so I could direct the signal to the correct power amp input with it.

So all in all, both amps could give me the dual 6L6/EL34 thing so I would be interested to have some feedback from people who own them.

The VHT has got some great reviews and a voicing switch that allows to go from a vintage to a more modern sound. It should be possible to set one channel with 6L6 and the other with EL34 (I use a GCX switcher so I could direct the signal to the correct power amp input with it.

Yes, but I've some reports that the 2/50/2 simply doesn't sound good with the 6L6s although it is definitely capable.

Steven Latch said:
What I like about the RTS2/50 is the fact that it allows to switch between an EL34 output and a 6L6 output. I guess you need to have two cabs or at least a stereo cab.

The RT2/50 can do the switching with ONE mono cab too!

I spent half the day tweaking the M4 in the RT2/50 with JJ 6L6 and E34Ls and all I can say is that "WOW"with either tubes and together, this is the best sound I have EVER acheived and have never been this excited about a rig :D I've only heard clips of the VHT and it to is great but I chose the RT2/50 for the flexibility and the ease of tube changes and biasing.

The RT2/50 sure scores a lot of points for ease of use with the front panel bias adjustment.

One thing I don't get is the cab switching mode.

I understand that you can select to send either the 6L6 side or the EL34 side to a single cab or that you can send the 6L6 side to cab one or the EL34 side to cab too. But can you have two cabs connected and select which power tubes will feed which cab? That would give a total of 4 combinaisons.

If you put it in stereo you can have one cab with 6l6 and one cab e34ls run at the same time ,if it is in switching mode you can run one or the other,there are four speaker outs on the amp.