new member, randall vmax owner.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello people. im loyd, from louisville ky. i recently got a randall vmax head. i know that these were very quickly replaced by the v2, and im sure the v2 is better, but i have to say i like the vmax alot. most of the complaints ive heard about it seem to be from people that dont know how to dial in an amp. its pretty easy to make the amp sound like crap, but with a little tweaking you can find a whole palette of awesome usable tones, making the amp very versatile. this may sound like blasphemy to some, but id even compare the tube od channel, and the clean channel to the ampeg vh140c

i had to track down the footswitch, which was problematic. the manual says "5 button 7 pin" and i bought one on ebay from mike of hemlock fame(GREAT GUY!), but it would not do anything for the vmax. he was going to help me track down one, but i found one in a local music go round, so now im in business with that. the funny thing is that customer service tried to tell me it needed a 6 pin, which isnt true.

next on my complaints is that there is no impedence info on the amp at all. i know it will take 4, 8, and 16 ohm loads from the manual, but given its 300 watt power rating, it might be nice to know what wattage it delivers to what load. customer service helped me with this, so unless they were wrong about that too i wont be blowing any speakers anytime soon. haha.

i switched the ruby 12ax7a tubes for a sovtek 12ax7lps in v1, and a shuguang 12ax7b in v2, and it really brought alot more clarity and low end out on that channel.

anyway, i guess im just introducing myself, talking about my randall experience thus far, and asking anyone else familiar with the vmax about their opinions and experience with them. please dont tell me to get a v2. i have many amps, and traded one that was pretty much a redundancy of other gear, and only worth about half what these usually go for for it. im really not interested in dropping big bucks on anything else right now, but if i found a sweet deal on a v2 i think id snatch it up. i just wanna talk about the vmax. there isnt alot out there on it, and from what ive seen its UNDERRATED!!!!

XloydtilldeathX666 said:
not as of now, but i probably will in the near future.

thanks for the reply.
GC in Louisville had some cool Randall gear for cheap when they first opened. Im only a couple hours from there. I was up that way in January. Little Heart Records was having a kick off. My buddies band is signed by them. Great musical area! :D

I've worked with little heart on a few shows. Is your buddy's band nowhere fast?

The musicgoround in Louisville right now has tons of Randall stuff. Xxl cab, nuno cab, a few other cabs and tons of heads newer and older...

XloydtilldeathX666 said:
I've worked with little heart on a few shows. Is your buddy's band nowhere fast?

The musicgoround in Louisville right now has tons of Randall stuff. Xxl cab, nuno cab, a few other cabs and tons of heads newer and older...
Yeah I need to make it back up thier to that shop. Didnt make it last time. Far Out Music across the river was cool. The Emporium too.