Boss GT-6 and the rm100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube Head

Reaction score
Ive been trying to intigrate these two for some time. Does anybody have any insight on using gt-6 fx and still take advantage of the modular preamps?

I've used one with my RM100. Check out www.bossgtcentral.com. Website is dedicated to the GT-6/8. You'll find alot of great info there. They explain the 4 cable method and that is the way you want to run the GT-6 with your head. The 4 cable method is hooked up like this:

Cable from guitar to normal input on the GT-6.
Cable from GT-6 External Out to RM100 input.
Cable from RM100 Parallel Effects Loop Send to GT-6 External In.
Cable from GT-6 Output L (Mono) to RM100 Parallel Effects Loop Return.
Turn your Overdrive/Distortion knob on the GT-6 to "Custom".
Make sure the GT-6's preamp is off.
Run in Manual mode.
Set your Output Select on the GT-6 to "Line/Headphone".

Running it this way allows you to utilize the RM100's preamp and just the effects on the GT-6 including the Wah/Volume. You can also turn the preamp back on and run the patches as well but I think the RM100 sounds way better on it's own just using the effects from the GT-6. Hope that helps ya!!

Tube Head - I run my GT8 with my RM50 using the 4-cable method as seen on bossgtgentral.com.

"4CM - guitar to GT8, then GT8 loop send to amp, then amp series effect to GT8 loop return, then GT8 out back to amp series return. "

Make sure the preamp models are off on the GTx.

From what I have read about the GT6, using the loop ends up taking the place of any distortion effect. But that's ok right, you want to use the modules for the distortion.

So, you can place wah, chorus, etc, anything you want in front of the loop and then run to the preamp for the distortion, then the series loop lets you put volume, reverb, delay, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great advise! I sound like im getting closer to the sounds i want, espeacially with putting the wah in front of the amp and reverb after the preamp. Now does anyone know if it is posible to switch the rm 100 chanels with the gt-6. is it even posible? Unfortunatly the midi controller was not included with the amp purchase. what would be my best option?

Tube Head said:
Now does anyone know if it is posible to switch the rm 100 chanels with the gt-6. is it even posible? Unfortunatly the midi controller was not included with the amp purchase. what would be my best option?

Yep, it's possible, and it's one of the best features of using the Boss GT's with the MTS amps.

You need a MIDI cable to run from the Boss's MIDI out to the Randall's MIDI in. Then you need to determine which MIDI channel the Randall is operating on (one of mine shipped on channel 1, another on channel 16, so no promises). It's far easier to send the MIDI transmit channel of the Boss than it is to change the MIDI receive channel of the RM100 (it required taking the amp apart on the RM100C). If the Boss supports OMNI (transmit on all channels), then you can avoid trying to figure out the channel of the RM100.

Once you figure out the channels, you can then program the RM100 to switch with the Boss. To do this, first select the patch you want on the Boss, then select the channel you want on the RM100 (using the channel select button), then hold down the channel select button for a few seconds to save the combination. Then repeat the process over and over until all your Boss patches are mapped to the correct RM100 channels. Viola.

--B

Thanks so much for the tip. I had spent alot of time messing with midi settups with an behringer fcb 1010. Now the gt-6 does all I need done. The current settup seems to be sounding good. Only one thing that bothers me about the 4 cable method is that I am using 3 20' cables and a 37' custom cable. That equal almost 100' . The 37' cables is hooked up to an esp ec- 1000 with active emg pick ups. Can anyone tell me if the signal chain is high or low impedence on the line phones output. Am I faceing Massive signal loss with so much cable length?

The highest impedance point is from your Guitar to the GT6 - the first cable. All of the others are going to be buffered somehow, so there should be less issue. Just use the best cable you can afford, high quality ends, etc - and don't be fooled by that Monster cable directional garbage....

Once you get past the first cable, it's all going to be line level type stuff and will be fine - although it might be susceptible to noise in severe conditions. Remember that mic cables and power amp returns routinely run through 100ft snakes without singal level degradation problems (of course many times they are balanced but that really only helps with noise).

Bottom line, of course, is try it.

bduersch said:
You need a MIDI cable to run from the Boss's MIDI out to the Randall's MIDI in. Then you need to determine which MIDI channel the Randall is operating on (one of mine shipped on channel 1, another on channel 16, so no promises). It's far easier to send the MIDI transmit channel of the Boss than it is to change the MIDI receive channel of the RM100 (it required taking the amp apart on the RM100C). If the Boss supports OMNI (transmit on all channels), then you can avoid trying to figure out the channel of the RM100.

Once you figure out the channels, you can then program the RM100 to switch with the Boss. To do this, first select the patch you want on the Boss, then select the channel you want on the RM100 (using the channel select button), then hold down the channel select button for a few seconds to save the combination. Then repeat the process over and over until all your Boss patches are mapped to the correct RM100 channels. Viola.

--B

bduersch thanks so much. I am using a Boss GT-5.. can I assume the above precedure still applies? I've known about the 4 cable method for awhile but never tried it back when I owned the JSX and Triple XXX heads. Now that I'm about to take delivery of the RM100, I need to make use of my GT-5 to switch channels on the RM via MIDI as well as for signal processing. Thanks in advance.

gainhead said:
bduersch thanks so much. I am using a Boss GT-5.. can I assume the above precedure still applies?

You can assume whatever you want :)

Seriously, I've owned the GT6 and GT8 and used them with the RM4/RM100, so I can verify those will work. Never owned the GT5, though, so the best I can do is assume it'll work, too. As long as it has a MIDI out port, you should be good to go.

--B

I think I "sort of" understand this 4 cable method with the RM-100 (I just got mine today so haven't had a chance to try it yet)

Will the 4 cable method allow me to place the time based effects (chorus, delay, etc.) of the GT processor after the RM preamps? Does it also allow me to push the input of the RM-100 head with the GT compressor, overdrives, etc. if I want? In practical terms, I have compressor, overdrive "stompboxes" running into the front of the amp, but my chorus and delays are in the RM 100 FX loop. Seems so..

gainhead said:
Will the 4 cable method allow me to place the time based effects (chorus, delay, etc.) of the GT processor after the RM preamps? Does it also allow me to push the input of the RM-100 head with the GT compressor, overdrives, etc. if I want?

You got it... the 4CM allows you to put all the FX where they belong (or where they sound best according to your ears)... typically wah/comp/OD up front and delay/verb/etc. in the loop. Having owned the GT6 and GT8, it worked well with both, so I'm assuming it'll be the same for the GT5.

--B

bduersch.. thanks! I almost forgot about wah, which of course I use also. btw, since I'm using the RM-100 parallel loop for the time based fx, should my chorus/delay/verb be set 100% wet inside the GT unit and wet/dry balance be controlled from the front panel of the head?

gainhead said:
btw, since I'm using the RM-100 parallel loop for the time based fx, should my chorus/delay/verb be set 100% wet inside the GT unit and wet/dry balance be controlled from the front panel of the head?

Don't know why that wouldn't work, but I always use FX boxes in the series loop for effects like EQ, tremolo, real-time volume control... those effects perform best in the series loop (as does a compressor, but ideally the compressor will be out in front of the amp anyway when using 4CM). Also, using FX boxes in the series loop gives you more control for changing the wet/dry mix levels mid-song (by changing patches, using an expression pedal, etc.) instead of having to go over and tweak the mix knob on the amp.

--B