How do you pay for your gear???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One good publishing deal....And a bunch of ok ones....That and my own blood, sweat and tears playing for the past 15 years - literally to anyone willing to hear and loud enough for those who tried not to....Now I'm older with a family and things are almost all publishing....Gotta be that way...Funny, the week I found out we were matched (for an adoption) was the week I was asked to be the opener on a tour with a very successful band...All along we were always opening for newly signed majors...When I had to say no to that tour offerr, my heart opened (for the kid) and broke (for the music)...All good in the end....And we can all say if we just tried a little longer it would've worked out...But in reality, music has to be for passion and fun....You're stupid to not market yourself and equally stupid if you expect to get a return on your marketing... :) In the end, making yourself happy has to be the goal....If money is tied to that goal, you're probably in for a rough ride...I'm guilty of that myself and still have lofty musical goals...I will never stop trying...Along the way, I've been lucky to pick up endorsements and such so a lot of my gear has come at little or no cost - but gear for me now is trading or outright buying...MTS is worth it...Randall, I'm ready for that endorsement!

I also have a good day job...I count myself VERY lucky!

I've got a good paying job,but never had any spare money until my money eating ex left.Once my daughter got older it got much easier to buy things since she got her own job and pays for her own stuff(somewhat anyways).Those 2 things combined,now I can pretty well buy what I want.

Money in the bank is an awesome feeling espically when you've been broke more than 20 years.

In the past it was save up for said items. Now it is a little of the CC and sell/trade. Some saving as well. I tend to buy used or hit on good deals for items I want.

Now I sell old stuff I'm not using to buy software VIs. Kind of like stuff I haven't used in 18 months. If I haven't used it in 18 months it goes.

Yes,

a job that provides disposable income is a big factor! The other big factor is not being in a heavy metal band with a lead singer in charge! the dough just piles up... :lol: that and not having a girlfriend, living in a rented room, driving an old car...doh! sorry.

The main things that allowed me to accumulate gear were;

skipping the overpriced US made guitar du jour for its import counterpart, then upgrading hardware (which also makes it easy to gig in clubs - "oh the MIM/Korea guitar fell/knocked over, it was only $300, but wait...just a couple scratches, no big deal")

shopping/trading a LOT of used gear and ebay deals, which is time consuming.

But, I compensated with many "wrong" purchases that I ended up not really liking, or satisfied only a temp need. and lost money on.

Good luck!

crushabud said:
I wait for Wells Fargo trucks to come along...

So that's why my bank account took an unexpected hit. Oh wait... I don't bank with them, must have been the wife then. :lol:

Hamner1 said:
crushabud said:
I wait for Wells Fargo trucks to come along...

So that's why my bank account took an unexpected hit. Oh wait... I don't bank with them, must have been the wife then. :lol:

I wait, but they never show up, which is why I don't have the guitar I want yet :cry:

All my money always seems spoken for before I make it, it's a vicious cycle...

I usually try to save up for a bit, 50 bux a week to the side. Since i quit drinking, I have 300 bux extra a month too. I usually buy my stuff used at guitar center or ebay. Preferably guitar center though so they can check all the electronics and stuff like that. You'll have a better chance of buying a lemon off of Ebay than GC. I also buy stuff like Marshall if it's a good deal and flip that if I can. Other than that, it take me some time to buy something I want. I refuse to buy new gear.

Booze is expensive. I don't go out as much, patiently save and work a lot of hours which in turn cuts out recreation time. And shut off the electricity...

Side note, no matter what I do all I get are quiet cleans out of my guitar :wink:

I play shows for booze and a few bucks normally....It depends on how serious the headliner(s) are....I make backstage always smell the same :lol: and have the time of my life each night....So far, so good....

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Jacksauce said:
And shut off the electricity...

Side note, no matter what I do all I get are quiet cleans out of my guitar :wink:
I know huh... I shut off my electricity and I had the same problem. My guitar tuner doesn't seem to work either. :)

Mattfig said:
I play shows for booze and a few bucks normally....It depends on how serious the headliner(s) are....I make backstage always smell the same :lol: and have the time of my life each night....So far, so good....

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

The sweet smell of roses? :lol: Ah, now that's living the dream my friend

Daryl said:
I know huh... I shut off my electricity and I had the same problem. My guitar tuner doesn't seem to work either. :)

:lol: It's the darnedest thing... But our new gear looks fantastic!