Damaged my recto module trying to mod it ....stop that :(

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephman

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a recto module (the old / original one) and gave it to a electrical contractor friend of mine with the capacitor mod documents I obtained and printed for him from the forum - this was to change the cap to .001.

Anyway, he's been trying to fiddle with it now without sucess and has just changed it back to the original cap out of frustration but no sound is coming out of it ???? It didn't seem like a complicated mod and its possible that something else broke on the module ??

At the moment its got no sound whatsoever but when I crank the master volume on the RM100 to the max and crank the recto module volume to the max I do hear a hiss which indicates something is working ????

Any help would be appreciated as the module itself wasn't too bad and at the moment the only replacement I have is an Ultra Lead and its certainly not my favorite module .......

Thanks heaps
Steph

ps: proud owner of an RM100 with clean; tweed; plexi (favorite); recto (not working); ultra lead.

It's highly likely he ripped a trace off the PCB or is shorting something out under the board. Not the easiest of fixes to explain or for the inexperienced to do on their own (often there is a good amount of damage, carbon burns on the PCB and multiple issues at hand). I do fixes for this kind of thing all the time and if you have any interest in having it modded the repairs would be free with your mod.

PM me if you are interested.

Rob

Jaded Faith said:
It's highly likely he ripped a trace off the PCB or is shorting something out under the board. Not the easiest of fixes to explain or for the inexperienced to do on their own (often there is a good amount of damage, carbon burns on the PCB and multiple issues at hand).

+1. I bought a Gigmods Ultra XL locally a year or so ago and the original owner tried to re-mod the mod and he burned a trace. I sent it back to Gigmods and the issue was fixed. Scott had to re-route the trace. It was good as new when it came back.

Thanks for the tip and responses guys.

Rob, I'd love for you to mod it for me but for the moment I'll have a go at fixing it and see where I end up - I've pbly spent too much $ on gear at this stage and but I will keep it in mind and in a few months or so ......

At this stage I have to admit that the mods you offer on your web site are awesome and since I have 2 spare modules I rarely use it seems like the thing to do.

Steph.

stephman said:
Thanks for the tip and responses guys.

Rob, I'd love for you to mod it for me but for the moment I'll have a go at fixing it and see where I end up - I've pbly spent too much $ on gear at this stage and but I will keep it in mind and in a few months or so ......

At this stage I have to admit that the mods you offer on your web site are awesome and since I have 2 spare modules I rarely use it seems like the thing to do.

Steph.
Anytime and let me know how you make out on that repair or if you need more advice.

Rob

This is where a multimeter comes in REAL handy... just look at where the trace is headed, and check continuity from origin to destination. If you don't get a beep, then you may need to use a piece of wire to repair it, or sometimes you can scratch the coating off and expose some copper to solder to.

Pete