Question from a non-Randall owner

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most 50 watt tube amps are going to sound pretty poor at bedroom levels, thats just the nature of the beast. However they have a ton of control over the amount of saturation you get at low levels so the mts may just work for you. I'd suggest an open back or ported back cab if your only use it at bedroom levels.

they sound really really excellent for most everything. I gig with a rm100 and It covers everything with grace and clarity. I use the XTC in a death metal band, and I can go and use it for any rock or country rock thing the next week. Its awesome

I use an RM50B at slightly louder than t.v. level with really good power stage cooking results. The key is to get JJ 6v6 tubes (do a search on this forum for 6v6 to read about this) and also a thd Hot Plate. The 6v6's will drop you to about 25 watts, and the Hot Plate can drop 8-12dB before sucking tone. I have the master at about 50% which is sonically about the same as a 6l6 at 75-100% in my experience.

It should be fine for jamming at home. I have the RM100 head and I get plenty of distortion at lower levels. I use the Recto module with cap mod for most of my sounds and the only other thing I am using at the moment is a BBE 482i sonic maximizer in the loop. It really helps in the gain department.

GaryMcT said:
I use an RM50B at slightly louder than t.v. level with really good power stage cooking results. The key is to get JJ 6v6 tubes (do a search on this forum for 6v6 to read about this) and also a thd Hot Plate. The 6v6's will drop you to about 25 watts, and the Hot Plate can drop 8-12dB before sucking tone. I have the master at about 50% which is sonically about the same as a 6l6 at 75-100% in my experience.

Note that all of this isn't necessary if you don't want poweramp warmth. I find that just turning the amp down doesn't sound nearly as good as doing all of this.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to give the 50w head a try. I'll check out re-tubing and attenuators once it arrives.