MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amp mods part one
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
surreal
RM20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the actual valve that is in the head and feeds the modules.

is this an 12AU7 and is it a Tung Sol or EH or what , would Swapping this valve out for something Better in terms of NOS benefit the amp ???
Shinozoku
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the stock tubes in the amp tend to be all JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes and 6L6GC power tubes. and yes, if you read up on these forums you'll see many people prefer a good sounding tone tube in the amp's V1, and then they put a JAN Phillips 5751 in the PI position to clean up the signal before hitting the power tubes.
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB
RD/Steve
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'stock' kirk mod isn't all that exciting guys. really...you can get the same sounds out of a regular rm100. in fact, i believe we may have just switched over all new production rm100's to the same spec. the difference between all the new versions is cosmetic with exception to the el34's in the lynch box.

"obviously...your not a golfer."

good dealings with: everyone Smile

http://www.randallamplifiers.com
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I'd like to comment on my experience and opinions. I had 3 rm100's (one 2x12 and two heads) and two seperate KH's at one time, as well as my step-dad having a rm50 (which I can hear the difference in but that's another story.). In my humble opinion, the KH is MUCH different than the rm100. The KH was overall much darker and smoother in tone and has more low bass that shakes the ground, like a H&K Warp T (now known as warp-x). I couldn't get the two to sound the same at all. All of the modules were much darker in the KH with a velvety feel and a thunderous low end. I ended up returning the KH models, only thinking of keeping one because maybe it would offset the lack of sub lows when adding a MM OT. I ended up not giving that a try though and ended up sticking with the RM100 because you can hear the harmonics better and It has better mids, even for a "metal guy". I'm really picky and am one of those guys that can tell the difference cables make etc., however, I don't think you'd have to be an audiophile tell the difference. For me, the difference was very pronounced and I can't imagine getting the same sounds with the two amps. That being said, most modules are made to sound best in the rm100 and, to me, most sounded best in a stock RM100 because that is what they are tuned in (Probably why I didn't like the MM OT). As a side note, the KH is a cool amp that gives the mods a deep dark flavor that many people might like. Some mods sounded cooler in the KH, especially the KH preamps. It brought something else out in them.

That's my opinion.

-Angel
fuzzyguitars
RM100

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterOf1Angel wrote:
If anyone is interested, I'd like to comment on my experience and opinions. I had 3 rm100's (one 2x12 and two heads) and two seperate KH's at one time, as well as my step-dad having a rm50 (which I can hear the difference in but that's another story.). In my humble opinion, the KH is MUCH different than the rm100. The KH was overall much darker and smoother in tone and has more low bass that shakes the ground, like a H&K Warp T (now known as warp-x). I couldn't get the two to sound the same at all. All of the modules were much darker in the KH with a velvety feel and a thunderous low end. I ended up returning the KH models, only thinking of keeping one because maybe it would offset the lack of sub lows when adding a MM OT. I ended up not giving that a try though and ended up sticking with the RM100 because you can hear the harmonics better and It has better mids, even for a "metal guy". I'm really picky and am one of those guys that can tell the difference cables make etc., however, I don't think you'd have to be an audiophile tell the difference. For me, the difference was very pronounced and I can't imagine getting the same sounds with the two amps. That being said, most modules are made to sound best in the rm100 and, to me, most sounded best in a stock RM100 because that is what they are tuned in (Probably why I didn't like the MM OT). As a side note, the KH is a cool amp that gives the mods a deep dark flavor that many people might like. Some mods sounded cooler in the KH, especially the KH preamps. It brought something else out in them.

That's my opinion.

-Angel

did you ever get to compare them to a lynch box?
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played a lynch box yet. Just got a rm50 which to me is much sweeter and warmer in the highs and mids. haven't played a rm4 setup yet.
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: RM50 Reply with quote

In case anyone was wondering about this mod for an RM50, this is the input board (I already removed the screws)

That little brown cap in there on the input board is 104J (100,000pf = 0.1uF at 5% tolerance and it's 400V)

This is the guy you want to change for the 'master input' bass cap...I'm going to drill the chassis and add a switch at the front for mine.
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, SuperV
kylendm
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very cool Smile

They need to use less glue lol

Also lets get some more mods going on!

I want my RM100 to look like this thing!

Fryette 2/50/2
Shinozoku
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on what that RM100KH power amp mod actually is?
JeffHenneman
RM100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is kinda old, but I was wondering if anyone has actually did this mod? and, what ere you impressions of it?
Shinozoku
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About to do it to mine. I got an Audience Auricaps .01 for this position, and I have a friend putting a SoZo Vintage in his. I'm doing it in mine because I've heard of the Auricaps' immense transparency, and it seems that transparency is exactly what you would want in the input stage of this amp. Theoretically this should create a greater disparity between modules.

My friend (MadHatter_Lurch) is running all modules that would benefit from the tone of the SoZo (modding a Blackface to fit the sound of an Ampeg V4, plus a super Marshally mod, and an Ubersonic).
chacal
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flag and bump, interested too Smile
Tbag
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this mod to my RM4, pointless mod.....

Used a .1, .22 and .033uF orange drops with a DPDT switch.

Cannot hear a difference, too early on in the stage.
Boss GT Pro, Fractal MFC-101,
Mesa Cabs
Shinozoku
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. My simple upgrade of the cap imparted an entirely richer and warmer tone across the whole amplifier.
Tbag
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try installing a 3 way switch and tell me if you hear a difference between the 3 Smile
Boss GT Pro, Fractal MFC-101,
Mesa Cabs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Gigmods Module Mods All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: