Lynch Grail vs. 1086 (i.e. Plexi Plus?)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detroit ABA

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the Grail & the 1086. I have only read good things about the Grail and some mixed reviews on the 1086. The randall video demo claims the 1086 can go from plexi to a rectofied tone?
Thanks for everyone's input on my other posts as I am trying to figure out what modules to start with before going down the modded path.

I used to bash the 1086 a lot- the scoop side was like a blanket. I had (2) 1086s and a Plexi Plus with the same shortcomings but a decent Marshally side

recently I started jamming on the Plexi Plus again. It was tucked away for awhile until i determined what upgrades to make to it. Strange, I suddenly really like this moudle ?! I've swithced power tubes and guitars since my last bashing, but I actually even like the scoop side now. IDK, very unexpected.

The Grail is a solid Recto-ish tone, the 1086/Plexi Plus has more versatility

Never touched a Grail but I wasn't very fond of my 1086 at first, thought it needed more gain and bass and the blanket lifted from it. The scoop side was useless... Then I put my MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and I like it so much I would probably get another for a mod just so I could keep a stock one. All modules are better with the EQ IMO!!

I'm wondering if the blanket is exaggerated by a multitude of chords and pedals...I've cut back and started using a clean boost and now my modules are on fire

I dunno, I plug straight into the head (or sometimes with just a Cusack Screamer set clean for a bit of tightening) and I still think the scoop side sounds like all the pitch has been sucked out of each note like a bavarian cream donut that someone else got to first.

I agree. Even with nothing but guitar>cable>input it seemed lifeless before I used the EQ.

Grail = pretty good recto tone.Thick & heavy without being muddy. With a clean boost it tightened up well.

1086 = MArshall side was pretty good. With the boost it gave me what I thought the Plexi needed, more gain & less brightness. Even with the boost off it had more gain than a Plexi. Recto side/scooped I found to be worthless. But then again I only tune down to E flat or occasionally drop the E to drop D. Others have said it gets better the lower you tune. :? Seems counter-intuitive, it's fuzzy & sounds like a blanket over it so tune lower. But hey if it works...

I primarily ran the marshall side/non scooped with gain around 1 oclock & boost on. EQ was bass 3:00, Mids 11:00-noon, highs noon-1:00

crankyrayhanky said:
I'm wondering if the blanket is exaggerated by a multitude of chords and pedals...I've cut back and started using a clean boost and now my modules are on fire

+1

it's really a night & day difference

I just use a RM4 with a few choice modules into a signal splitter into to 2 seperate power amps (1 tube & 1 ss)

I have the cabs in a "isolation room" for mikeing & recording and run that signal into my PC and adding effects there

dull & lifeless without a boost

and like you put it "on FIRE" with a clean boost

warlok said:
Never touched a Grail but I wasn't very fond of my 1086 at first, thought it needed more gain and bass and the blanket lifted from it. The scoop side was useless... Then I put my MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and I like it so much I would probably get another for a mod just so I could keep a stock one. All modules are better with the EQ IMO!!

Can you explain how you use your MXR 10 band EQ? Whereabouts is it in the signal chain? I just bought a Rane MPE 28 and I'm trying it out both before my RM4 and after it in the signal chain.

The EQ is my second pedal in the serial loop (first is tuner). Sliders set in a "V" but slightly skewed a bit higher in the low mids. The Gain and volume sliders are just a bit under 0 to keep from clipping (they blink when they're clipping).

I've used my Grail a whole lot more than the 1086. Thicker lows and low mids, whereas the 1086 is left sounding a bit thinner in a direct comparison.
I've always just used the left side (mid switch) on the 1086, but I used it for my recto tones before I had a Grail. It did well for that, but wasn't as thick. The other side doesn't really sound like anything really, well, maybe just some crappy combo amp under some blankets and pillows.

Thinking of having my 1086 modded, just the recto (right-side) voiced side, I'm happy with the marshall- side.
is there any mods that will make it sound like a Grail?